jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited August 8, 2012 in Cameras
HDR:
5D31850-X2.jpg

Single image, Auto-Exposure, no flash:
5D31853-X2.jpg

Single image, bounce flash:
5D31862-X2.jpg

in-cam HDR makes this job a lot easier!!!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2012
    Wow! I have always disliked the HDR photos for their cartoonish look but this is amazing! I may need to try it myself.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2012
    Wow! I have always disliked the HDR photos for their cartoonish look but this is amazing! I may need to try it myself.

Oh yes... I always despised them. But the 5D3 does a, IMO, miraculous job on them. It even does well at landscapes in some situations, but this is definitely my new standard for r/e.

Some more examples:

HDR:
    5D31865-XL.jpg

single shot, bounce flash:
    5D31866-XL.jpg

a few more HDR...
    5D31868-XL.jpg

5D31873-XL.jpg

5D31877-XL.jpg

5D31912-XL.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited June 27, 2012
    Thanks, Jack. I'm finding more uses for the 3's HDR modes than I ever thought possible. It reduces any noise too. Another cool feature, whether in-cam or in post (DPP) is the composting tool. Lets say you're doing moon shots every 2m:35s apart or star trails with 10 separate shots... the composting tool or cam feature can join all those photos together perfectly. I am really liking this.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited June 28, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Thanks, Jack. I'm finding more uses for the 3's HDR modes than I ever thought possible. It reduces any noise too.

I agree it works much better than I ever would have expected. I thought it would be a cartoony looking gimmick. However I find I don't like to pixel-peep the results, they are rather soft at 100% view. Which of course is usually meaningless, but still.
    Another cool feature, whether in-cam or in post (DPP) is the composting tool. Lets say you're doing moon shots every 2m:35s apart or star trails with 10 separate shots... the composting tool or cam feature can join all those photos together perfectly. I am really liking this.

Neat, I wasn't even aware of that! But isn't it "compositing"? I don't think of the 5D3 as a garden tool! ;)
    -Jack

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited June 28, 2012
    Compositing. 11doh.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Interesting. I do r/e photos for a fairly large SF realtor/property management and for several public builders (model homes), and both despise HDR simply because the pictures are not representative of the property. I have never provided them HDR images for their consideration but other photographer have. LR (with the D800) makes r/e photography fairly simple already...easy $.

Btw, the pics look great.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    This is how real HDR should be used... to correct a technical limitation rather than blowing it up into a visual circus :D

I also love this mode it really is amazing for workflow
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    This is how real HDR should be used... to correct a technical limitation rather than blowing it up into a visual circus :D

I also love this mode it really is amazing for workflow

yes, the typical HDR image has wild colors , this looks pretty good
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    Beautiful work, HDR as it should be --- REALISTIC!! :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    I don't do much HDR, but in my limited experience the wild circus-of-color images have much less to do with HDR and much more to do with the editing. These shots are great, and look realistic. Since the human eye has about 10x greater dynamic range than a camera does, using HDR to recapture the dynamic range needn't look fake. I think the stereotype of HDR is an artifact of overzealous editing. Just my $0.02's worth...
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    I like them.

What lens, please, and how was geometric correction done?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    Wow, I want the house!
  • BoomerangNetwork.comBoomerangNetwork.com Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    Your images looks to have an overcast sky outside. I wonder if you had the same situation with a bit more contrast if these would hold up as well. Would be an idea to look into. Great shots to share.
    Andrew Osterberg

Moving Beyond Photography

VirtualPhotographyStudio.com
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    I like them.

What lens, please, and how was geometric correction done?

Neil

Ditto, plus settings if you would please.
    Thanks, Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
    edited July 3, 2012
    This is making me think about a 5D Mark III instead of the next generation 7D... And I shoot motorsports for crying out loud! :)
    A former sports shooter
    edited July 3, 2012
    Thanks all. Lens was 17-40L. Exif is intact. HDR settings were Art Standard, +/-3EV. Geometric correction was only needed on this photo due to the column, corrected in DPP. Otherwise just keep the camera level (or parallel with the vertical lines in the home) and you're usually good to go. Yes, sky was overcast that day.

Bill, actually you can get this same HDR processing in the latest DPP with any camera, you just have to take the 3 bracketed shots yourself. The 5D3 just makes it easy by doing it all for you.
    -Jack

edited July 3, 2012
    Guess I'll have to download DPP now. Now, to find my original 40D software disc....
    A former sports shooter
    edited July 3, 2012
    Lens was 17-40L. Exif is intact. HDR settings were Art Standard, +/-3EV. Geometric correction was only needed on this photo due to the column, corrected in DPP. Otherwise just keep the camera level (or parallel with the vertical lines in the home)

Appreciate that, thanks.

Have never been able to find exif from posted images. What's the trick, please?

I shot this yesterday. Not for real estate obviously. 14mm on APS-C. Converted to 16bit tiff in DPP, then geometric on verticals in DxO. Then into Ps. Don't know if I'm mashing my pixels to pulp going such an in-and-out route! I thought somewhere in some app there was a button you pressed to get all, repeat ALL, geometric distortions ironed out!!eek7.gif But I'll go ask in technique or some place.

i-W54tfFT-M.jpg

Neil

• kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2012
    hdr is an editing tool. thats all. cartoonish pics are just bad, or desired editing. people who say they "dont like hdr" reslly generally just do not know what they are talking about.
    edited July 5, 2012
    I forgot to mention that I found I had to use EC +1 for interior shots.
    NeilL wrote: »
    Appreciate that, thanks.

Have never been able to find exif from posted images. What's the trick, please?

Google for browser exif plugin.
    I shot this yesterday. Not for real estate obviously. 14mm on APS-C. Converted to 16bit tiff in DPP, then geometric on verticals in DxO. Then into Ps. Don't know if I'm mashing my pixels to pulp going such an in-and-out route! I thought somewhere in some app there was a button you pressed to get all, repeat ALL, geometric distortions ironed out!!eek7.gif But I'll go ask in technique or some place.

DPP can get you most of the way there, if you shot with the camera level in the first place. It corrects lens distortion, but not perspective or keystone. But your white balance seems very off...?
    -Jack

edited July 5, 2012
    I forgot to mention that I found I had to use EC +1 for interior shots.

Google for browser exif plugin.

DPP can get you most of the way there, if you shot with the camera level in the first place. It corrects lens distortion, but not perspective or keystone. But your white balance seems very off...?

Thanks very much for the tips!thumb.gif

WB? Wot WB? That is ART, man!! A-R-T!!mwink.gifrofl (It's planned to be part of a composite)

Neil

edited July 9, 2012
    DPP can get you most of the way there, if you shot with the camera level in the first place. It corrects lens distortion, but not perspective or keystone.

Sorry, I misspoke. DPP cannot correct lens distortion for jpegs, so it cannot correct the resultant HDR. I go to CS5 for that if necessary. I find that just keeping the camera level minimizes the need for PP and creates a natural looking image.

Here's more...

Shot another house today (when it rains it pours!) and the realtor wanted to see the interior done both ways - HDR and flash. So this gallery is a decent comparison:

http://jmphotocraft.smugmug.com/Real-Estate-and-Interiors/7-Little-Brook-Drive

Sometimes HDR is not the best tool for the job. Most of the time I think it is. Other times it's the only way, like #8 which simply could not be flashed.

Anyway, I'm loving it.
    5D32308-XL.jpg
    -Jack

edited July 9, 2012
    OK, thanks.

Yes it has a definite "look" to it, which has its place, as said.

Neil

edited July 16, 2012
    Works well for twilight shots too!

5D32719-X2.jpg
    -Jack

edited August 8, 2012
    it's almost too easy now!

5D33890-X2.jpg

5D33911-X2.jpg
    -Jack