Photographing police in Austin, Texas.

puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
edited June 28, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Came across this whilst following a (w/life) link - wondered if of interest here?

http://www.pixiq.com/article/austin-man-facing-10-years-in-prison

pp

Comments

• RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    After watching the video, I think Mr. Buehler probably spit in the officers face. Maybe not a full on spit, but maybe a half-assed kind of one. I also think he was an idiot for not immediately complying with the officer's orders. Mr. Buehler was clearly resisting. He looks exactly like my young son does when he tries to get away from his daddy. Squirmy arms and legs.

All that said, I think the police officer made the mistake of approaching Mr. Buehler in the first place. Officers should behave professionally at all times, and that means putting up with some screams and complaints from bystanders. Mr. Buehler, by yelling at the officers, chose to bring attention to himself. The officer chose to react to his yelling and photographing by arresting Mr. Buehler. Had Mr. Buehler sat there quietly taking pictures, then his pictures wouldn't have gotten seen by many people. The way the police officers treated the women looks like standard procedure.

To change the topic slightly, have you ever noticed how some people change when they recognize the presence of a camera? I can't tell you how many times I've seen photojournalists change the story. Not by any active participation, but just by showing up.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs