Options

Frustrated (google searches)

BenjenBenjen Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 28, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've contacted Customer Service for the past 6 months asking how to make my galleries (unsearchable) via google and I keep hitting a wall with the advice. I ONLY want customer to see their galleries when they go through my programming of links through wordpress. They should NOT be able to google the name of my company and have the smug mug link come up. I'm really frustrated can anyone help?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    I'm not customer service so take this advice with a grain of salt.

You have a link on your website to your SM gallery. I can click on that link and go to your SM site. That means google can do that too. The more links on webpages to your SM site, the more google will see your SM site.

What I did for my own SM site was got into the Control Panel and clicked Search Engine Settings and set everything to "no" for search engines. I don't link anywhere on the web to my SM site and for delivering files, I send direct links to password protected galleries via email (which isn't indexed by google). Voila, site doesn't come up in google but I can still use it as a proofing, print ordering, and file delivery site for my clients. I also made sure to link everything on the front end of my SM site (the banner and links under the banner) back to my main .com portfolio website to prevent clients from searching through the SM site.

Hope that makes sense. If not, ask questions and I'll try to help.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    You're set to not be found by google. But if you were set to be found, Google has the link and it's up to them to remove it. Eventually it will fall off of google.