Options

Self Fulfillment Workaround

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited August 10, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
What is the best way for my clients to select photos in a gallery and let me know what prints they want so I can self fulfill the printing?

Only thing I can think of is making sure I have uniqe file names for each photo. Then my client can copy/paste the file names into an email and send it to me.

Is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks

Ryan
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Use our events feature to let them signify their favorites: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/83125
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    melissachristinemelissachristine Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    Oakley wrote: »
    What is the best way for my clients to select photos in a gallery and let me know what prints they want so I can self fulfill the printing?

Only thing I can think of is making sure I have uniqe file names for each photo. Then my client can copy/paste the file names into an email and send it to me.

Is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks

Ryan

Do you use lightroom? If so you can have clients indicate the qty or size in the comments and then have them sync back into lightroom. Then fliter the items that have comments and you have a list to work through that's already in lightroom for cropping.
    pictures.melissalundie.com
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
    Do you use lightroom? If so you can have clients indicate the qty or size in the comments and then have them sync back into lightroom. Then fliter the items that have comments and you have a list to work through that's already in lightroom for cropping.

Very interesting.....this must be a Lightroom 4 thing, right? I'm still on LR3. :cry
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    No.. It's in Lightroom 3. I would do it a little different than I suggested though. Do you use the plugin to upload pictures to Smugmug? I like jfriend's plugin the best, however the lightroom plug-in has bi-directional support.

Basically you use an event on smugmug to allow your customer to collect their favorite images and then make comments on them. Then you syncronize your publishing service and it will create the event collection folder in lightroom showing all the images your customer collected. Then you look at each picture to see the comment.

Does that make sense? I can go through the steps more in depth if you need me to. It's still clunky but it works. I order most things through smugmug, but there are a few products smugmug doesn't offer so I do it this way. It also works for albums. Also, Some of my packages include something like 10 web quality images - customers choice. Many want a disk, so I have them select their images in Smugmug and then I just have to export that gallery to a disk. It works well.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    That's very helpful. I'm going to give that a shot and see how it goes! Thanks! :)
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    One thing that confused me a long time is that the "Comments" module was not checked for display in my library section. I coudln't figure out where the comments were going in Lightroom :D
  • Options
    Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    If smugmug would just implement self fulfilment it would pretty much fix this problem.
    Any chance of this ever happening Andy?

Also zenfolio and Queensberry announced their Australian lab, any chance smugmug will join the race before November?