Stuck lens: a 400/2.8 stuck to a 1D4

jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
edited June 30, 2012 in Cameras
This has not been my year for good performance from my Canon gear. The latest problem occurred at the start of shooting a pro soccer game, when I discovered that my 400/2.8 did not seem to be connected properly to my 1D4. More precisely, it seemed to be sagging down. Figuring that the screws in the lens mounting plate on the back of the lens had worked loose (this is a recurring problem for this lens), I tried to take the lens off to tighten them. I discovered that the lens was stuck, and no amount of wiggling would release it. The main problem seems to be the locking pin, which apparently can get stuck in the locked position as well as the open position (which happened to me on this body a month or so ago, but I managed to fix it on site). Although the screws are loose, and the top two have fully disengaged from the threads, they do not appear to be jamming the mounting plates.

I know the obvious answer is to send it in to CPS, but I have two important games to shoot this weekend and can't be without my 400/2.8. I always have a backup body, but never thought that a backup 400/2.8 was needed!

Anyone have any ideas how to take this apart and fix it? I have tried wiggling it, snapping the lens lock button in an effort to dislodge it, and gently tapping the body to try to loosen it.

After this long string of equipment failures, I am seriously thinking of switching over to Nikon. This is getting a bit ridiculous and frustrating...

Comments

• JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    LenRentals.com or Borrowlenses.com? I mean, especially if there is any movement because of the issues it can cause with focusing as well...
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    LenRentals.com or Borrowlenses.com? I mean, especially if there is any movement because of the issues it can cause with focusing as well...

Definitely not usable as is; sort of like a tilt shift lens with the wiggle in it. Apparently this is a common issue for Canon 1D-series bodies. I took apart my other 1D4 to see how the locking pin works, and it has a spring actuator for movement in either direction. Thus, it can easily get stuck closed as well as open. Seems like a design flaw IMHO.

I may need to do the BorrowLenses thing, though am waiting a call back from CPS. My guess is that they won't tell me anything more than to send it in.
    edited June 29, 2012
    Well, I finally managed to get the lens off by fashioning a tool to reach through the inner lens window to the base plate. Not easy and kinda scary, but it worked. The only issue is that the lens lock pin is slightly bent, but that is an easy fix with the proper part. Hopefully I can get Canon to sell me the part, rather than having to send it in...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited June 29, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    Well, I finally managed to get the lens off by fashioning a tool to reach through the inner lens window to the base plate. Not easy and kinda scary, but it worked. The only issue is that the lens lock pin is slightly bent, but that is an easy fix with the proper part. Hopefully I can get Canon to sell me the part, rather than having to send it in...

Congratulations on getting the lens removed. thumb.gif

I do recommend that you have the lens serviced for the bent parts and so that those mounting screws don't continue to come undone. Since this is your second issue with the screws, it seems worthwhile to have them professionally serviced.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited June 30, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Congratulations on getting the lens removed. thumb.gif

I do recommend that you have the lens serviced for the bent parts and so that those mounting screws don't continue to come undone. Since this is your second issue with the screws, it seems worthwhile to have them professionally serviced.

Both lens and camera will be on their way to CPS Monday morning...good advice!