Options

Icelight. Thoughts?

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited October 12, 2013 in Accessories
I have been following Jerry Ghionis for a few years now, and he is coming out with this little gizmo.

http://www.theicelight.com/

thoughts?

I am contemplating ordering it today..
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Id be compelled to make a DIY light personally, but if you're not the DIY type it looks pretty nice...

I can't help but think there are other lights for less that would do the same thing though. $500 is pretty steep for a led lamp, at least I think so.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited June 28, 2012
    I would insist on seeing image samples and a lot more in specifications.

They mention the comparison to a 150W quartz halogen (they make the comparison) but there are no examples showing the 2 light sources in action.

They also claim that this is a "wraparound" light source. With the dimensions of 20" x 1.75" how much wrapping can it do? (Probably not too much.)

How complete is the color spectrum? To my knowledge all "white" LED light sources are really tri-light sources, with very limited spectrums.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Foques wrote: »
    thoughts?

150w equivalent. 150watts in general isn't much light. I own and use a Torch LED and it isn't much light either, of course it's only 30w equivalent. Useful occasionally but still not much light.

I suspect it may well be worth the money as it sounds on par with what LED/Good LED is going for now days.

You into Video? If so then this may work for you. In the photo dept. I cannot see much use.

With today's ISO-sensitive cameras not a lot of light is needed as everyone knows. But control of light will always be important.

I like strobes or flash guns for photo work and prefer Florescent for inside video work and a reflector for outside when I don't have enough wattage or budget for power.

Overall, I'd say it's a no go for me. I want to be able to control light. Wrapping light around can be kinda nice, but what about the rest of the set or scene?
    tom wise
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Get yourself some 3" PVC pipe, slide it in half and put a flash at the bottom. Seriously, don't waste your $

They don't give you tech details on ISO's these images were shot at.. granted they look good.. but what were they shot with, D4? 5D3? High ISO on those cameras = low noise.. but still.. a concern to me.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2012
    What I really like about this light is it is continuous, and is fairly powerful.

During the wedding I shot, I realized that I prefer to create those more "intimate" portraits, shooting with low available light, high ISO, creating nice fall offs, and barely lit backgrounds.
    I know, I can do the same thing with a flash, but I need to more much more set up to get a similar result.

My concern is the $$ aspect. I mean, it is still an LED board.. had it not been endorsed by Ghionis, odds are, it would be half the cost, but I can't find any comparable product. I am considering grabbing a video light instead, but... few of them are LED based ones with a battery as good as this one.

While I am not into video at all, at least presently, I do want the ability to bring the "window" light with me wherever I go.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2012
    ? bounce-diffuse your onboard

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    I wish they'd list the lumens somewhere. Just listing wattage is a bit misleading when trying to compare different bulb types.

This would be fun for light painting the foreground of my night time shots, but for << $500 I can probably rig up a couple of LED flashlights with a good diffuser.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    My concern is the $$ aspect. I mean, it is still an LED board.. had it not been endorsed by Ghionis, odds are, it would be half the cost, but I can't find any comparable product. I am considering grabbing a video light instead, but... few of them are LED based ones with a battery as good as this one.

If you price the good LED's you'll find this price is not out of bounds. reference: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846001-REG/Flolight_LED_1024_NDS_MicroBeam_1024_High_Powered.html
    kolibri wrote: »
    I wish they'd list the lumens somewhere. Just listing wattage is a bit misleading when trying to compare different bulb types.

Also as Ziggy mentions light spectrum is a concern.

Always my complaint as well. in fact, I'd prefer the wattage and the wattage equivalent.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2012
    well, I think i'm going to buy it..I was offered a 3 week return period on the item. Directly, by the manufacturer no less.

Once it arrives, i'll update you folks.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2012
    Alright, well... I figured i'll move in another direction. At least for now.
    I know, good LEDs cost an arm an a leg, i'm an automotive enthusiast, we deal with that as well. A lot.

however, what I can't deal with is a rip off shipping. the shipping cost I was quoted was close to 40$.. and, as I was thinking about biting a bullet, a friend of mine (he's a technician for Lamborghini) received a new light tool that they (techs) are provided with.. Essentially, same thing as the IceLight, just 2.5 cheaper.. and not batter powered.
    I am going to test it out with the vagabond mini and see if it'll do the trick..
    Will keep you guys posted.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    muffindellmuffindell Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 12, 2013
    Update
    Alright, well... I figured i'll move in another direction. At least for now.
    I know, good LEDs cost an arm an a leg, i'm an automotive enthusiast, we deal with that as well. A lot.

however, what I can't deal with is a rip off shipping. the shipping cost I was quoted was close to 40$.. and, as I was thinking about biting a bullet, a friend of mine (he's a technician for Lamborghini) received a new light tool that they (techs) are provided with.. Essentially, same thing as the IceLight, just 2.5 cheaper.. and not batter powered.
    I am going to test it out with the vagabond mini and see if it'll do the trick..
    Will keep you guys posted.

I used the Ice Light the other day and was impressed. Did ever get to test your friends light tool?