24-105 Lens -Fault

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited June 30, 2012 in Cameras
Tonight I received an email from a friend who owns a 24-105 lens which has packed in.
The following is what he said in his email to me:-

"The problem is quite comon it is a design fault with the lens that Canon will not admit to.
The lens causes an error 01 on the camera body the auto focus and apature motor have stopped working, caused by the lens barrel moving in and out from 24mm end to the 105mm end the wire inside is a ribbon wire and with the constant zooming in and out the wire has a break in it.
The wire canot be replaced without having to replace the apature blade motor and all the parts attached to it."

I have used a 24-105 for over 18 months and have never had a problem with it. In actual fact it is attached to my 5D at all times.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem to my friend as I am worried as I would imagine this will be an expensive repair.
Cheers
Bob

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited June 28, 2012
    I see a reasonably high failure rate for both the diaphragm and the IS section of the Canon EF 24-105mm, f4L IS USM. Both failures can throw an "ERR 01". Repairs seem to run $150USD on up.

The same error code shows up sometimes with dirty contacts, so that would be the first thing to check.

Then again, "most" folks have a trouble-free experience with the lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I see a reasonably high failure rate for both the diaphragm and the IS section of the Canon EF 24-105mm, f4L IS USM. Both failures can throw an "ERR 01". Repairs seem to run $150USD on up.

The same error code shows up sometimes with dirty contacts, so that would be the first thing to check.

Then again, "most" folks have a trouble-free experience with the lens.

Thanks Ziggy I will tell him to check over the contacts.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    I believe canon has a similar problem with their 17-85mm is lens.
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    My lens suffered the same fate after 3-4 years. It's a quick fix - but not a very cheap one. The lens worked perfectly afterwards. Hope it works out for your friend.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    pemmett wrote: »
    My lens suffered the same fate after 3-4 years. It's a quick fix - but not a very cheap one. The lens worked perfectly afterwards. Hope it works out for your friend.

Thanks for replying. I sold my 17-85 some rime ago because I never used it. Maybe just as well. I am beginning to wonder if I should insure my 24-105.
    Cheers
    Bob