Options

Pixel Issue

2»

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    kolibri wrote: »
    Here are what 'stuck' pixels look like. The difference between the red and the green one is because of the Bayer filter.

i-SHMCmkb-X3.jpg

This is SOOC in RAW with all noise reduction turned off and no enchancement of any kind. I just noticed that you had brightness and contrast turned up on that latest image you posted, but I don't think that increasing the brightness like that could turn this defined stuck-on pixel pattern into the hot spot that you have.

The photo I posted was SOOC. The settings you see are what my Camera Raw opens as ... preset. I've not changed anything.

Yeah mine doesn't look like what you attached headscratch.gif
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Neil there is a line now .. looks like that wormhole is leaving a trail eek7.gifrofl

ooh yes!

seems like a little contiguous population of pixels, with associated "cross-hairs"

did you use the same lens for all these shots here?

Mary, would you do this - look through the lens from front to back against a bright even light surface eg a bright evenly overcast sky without any sunlight getting in (don't point it anywhere near the sun). do you see any light or dark spots?

and second, take these same shots you show us here again with the same lens and a different lens

Neil

PS I think laser damage is most likely to cause dead pixels in an irregular pattern rather than the kind of thing we're seeing here
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    ooh yes!

seems like a little contiguous population of pixels, with associated "cross-hairs"

did you use the same lens for all these shots here?

Mary, would you do this - look through the lens from front to back against a bright even light surface eg a bright evenly overcast sky without any sunlight getting in (don't point it anywhere near the sun). do you see any light or dark spots?

and second, take these same shots you show us here again with the same lens and a different lens

Neil

PS I think laser damage is most likely to cause dead pixels in an irregular pattern rather than the kind of thing we're seeing here

I used the 70-200 and the 50mm. Both mounted on the mkii. I can't take the shots over again ... well one I could. Maybe the dark hallway one too, but the other one is a blue sunset photo I took. As for an overcast sky .. if we have one I'll certainly try that tomorrow. If not an over cast sky ... what else can I use?
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2012
    I used the 70-200 and the 50mm. Both mounted on the mkii. I can't take the shots over again ... well one I could. Maybe the dark hallway one too, but the other one is a blue sunset photo I took. As for an overcast sky .. if we have one I'll certainly try that tomorrow. If not an over cast sky ... what else can I use?

ok, and the same spot was in the same spot in shots from both lenses? could you repeat at least the carpet shot? could you also look at the sensor with the lens off and in indirect light and see if there is something on it eg tiny oil drops

you could hold the lens up to a bright and evenly lit (eg reflected sunlight) interior wall at home

your histogram for the carpet image is showing a blown blue channel if I am right?

Neil

• Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    if this problem is definitely isolated to the sensor, then it looks to me like this - (Kodak Smear pdf)

Smear is an excess signal that appears in the vertical CCD of an interline device that is illuminated by a bright spot. The
    image artifact appears as a dim vertical band that extends above and below the spot from the top to the bottom of the
    image. Smear results from light leakage into the vertical shift registers as a charge packet is clocked through a brightly
    illuminated area. Excessive smear is visually objectionable and reduces the dynamic range. The smear signal is
    proportional to the illumination intensity and the vertical height of the spot.

- especially if you shot this in portrait orientation

Neil

• Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    Neil I'll try looking at the lenses tomorrow along with the sensor. I'll also re-shoot the hallway shot tonight. Blue was strong in that shot. I'll post what I see tomorrow along with the shot I take tonight.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,909 moderator
    edited July 1, 2012
    Mary, your lenses have absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

I do believe that you have a problem with your 5D MKII sensor. Send your camera to an authorized Canon service center and let them diagnose and correct your camera.

You don't need to do any more tests.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »

I do believe that you have a problem with your 5D MKII sensor. Send your camera to an authorized Canon service center and let them diagnose and correct your camera.

I did do a retake and it was still there. It will get sent in tomorrows mail. My concern now are photos I've edited. What will happen if I were to print out a photo? If I had removed the white dot ... would the line come across in the print? I had a Fuji film camera long ago that always printed out a line across the top of the photos. I thought something was scratching the film.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012

Ziggy I'm filling out the form now and am given 3 places I can send it to. Jamesburg, NJ .. Newport News, VA .. or Irvine, CA. Which would you suggest? I'm sure they are all good, but I also know one could probably be better then another one.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    Ziggy I picked Irvine, CA ... did some google searches on my choices.

Neil ... It has to be a sensor issue. I tried my lenses on my 40d with no issues. So it's going in to be sent it.

I'll let ya all know what they say was wrong. Thank you everyone for helping me out :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    Ziggy I'm filling out the form now and am given 3 places I can send it to. Jamesburg, NJ .. Newport News, VA .. or Irvine, CA. Which would you suggest? I'm sure they are all good, but I also know one could probably be better then another one.

According to this page:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/support_pro/pro_service-locations

... the Newport News, VA location is "mail in only", which may suggest a smaller staff. The other two locations are where I would send my equipment. Between them, choose the closest.

For a camera like the Canon 5D MKII I do recommend double-boxing, for protection, and I recommend using a delivery service that allows insurance and tracking. Include your return address inside the inner box. Include a copy of your problem and requested repairs, as well as any RA/RMA information from Canon.

Don't send any more parts than are needed. The camera, body cap and battery are all I would send in this case.

Do photograph the camera beforehand, so that you document the physical condition of the body prior to sending. Photographically document the serial number too.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    According to this page:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/support_pro/pro_service-locations

... the Newport News, VA location is "mail in only", which may suggest a smaller staff. The other two locations are where I would send my equipment. Between them, choose the closest.

For a camera like the Canon 5D MKII I do recommend double-boxing, for protection, and I recommend using a delivery service that allows insurance and tracking. Include your return address inside the inner box. Include a copy of your problem and requested repairs, as well as any RA/RMA information from Canon.

Don't send any more parts than are needed. The camera, body cap and battery are all I would send in this case.

Do photograph the camera beforehand, so that you document the physical condition of the body prior to sending. Photographically document the serial number too.

I picked CA .... not the closest tho. I will double box it and was going to send it Fed-Ex. I have all the paperwork ready. Did what you mentioned. I didn't know to photograph the camera tho nor the serial number. I'll do that too.

Do I send it in it's original box or not? I'm thinking not.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    ... Do I send it in it's original box or not? I'm thinking not.

I would not send the original box or original packing.

Use sufficient packing and padding to prevent movement or rattle.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    I would not send the original box or original packing.

Use sufficient packing and padding to prevent movement or rattle.

Thanks Ziggy ... :D
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    Thought I'd be posting letting you know what Canon said was wrong with my camera and what they did to fix it, but I don't have my camera. Called them Monday to see what was wrong and was told it was with a tech. Called today and was told that someone will call me tomorrow. Camera arrived to Canon in CA on July 6th. I received an email from them saying it would be fixed and sent to me in 7 days. 7 Days would be yesterday. I know ... I'm counting days and shouldn't. It's all about getting the camera fixed, but I miss my camera. It's not like I don't have a camera to shoot with, but I'd rather be shooting with my 5DMKii.

Is the usual? I know I've read some postings where people get their camera's back within a week. I'm not expecting to see mine till next week sometime and that's if it's fixed this week.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    ... I received an email from them saying it would be fixed and sent to me in 7 days. 7 Days would be yesterday. I know ... I'm counting days and shouldn't. It's all about getting the camera fixed, but I miss my camera. It's not like I don't have a camera to shoot with, but I'd rather be shooting with my 5DMKii.

Is the usual? I know I've read some postings where people get their camera's back within a week. I'm not expecting to see mine till next week sometime and that's if it's fixed this week.

Yes, that's normal. When you got the e-mail they gave you the standard 7 days answer, but they hadn't even looked at your camera. Once it got to a technician, they may have had to order parts, etc. If it was the imager, that is a critical part and requires precision and a clean room to replace. Then the alignment has to be checked and the AF needs to be re-calibrated. It's a lot of work.

If you don't get a response by late tomorrow, it would be good to follow up with another e-mail. Always try to keep a record of who you talk to and what they said. E-mail is best so that you have a written record, but even that is not a true contract.

Are you a member of CPS?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    Yes, that's normal. When you got the e-mail they gave you the standard 7 days answer, but they hadn't even looked at your camera. Once it got to a technician, they may have had to order parts, etc. If it was the imager, that is a critical part and requires precision and a clean room to replace. Then the alignment has to be checked and the AF needs to be re-calibrated. It's a lot of work.

If you don't get a response by late tomorrow, it would be good to follow up with another e-mail. Always try to keep a record of who you talk to and what they said. E-mail is best so that you have a written record, but even that is not a true contract.

Are you a member of CPS?

I was thinking it might be something major to fix and would take longer. I've not been getting names of whom I talked too .. will do that tomorrow tho. This is all new to me .. I thought communication would of been better. But like I mentioned .. at least it's getting fixed :D

CPS? Don't know what that is.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    CPS, Canon Professional Services, is a buy-in (mostly) and optional plan which gives you some additional service priority. Without being a member of CPS, your camera is in the same class as P&S repairs, advanced P&S repairs, digicams, film cameras, entry level dSLRs, etc. CPS is for working professionals who may benefit from expedited repairs, etc.

I'm not recommending CPS, but you may wish to look into the service to see if you meet the requirements:

http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    CPS, Canon Professional Services, is a buy-in (mostly) and optional plan which gives you some additional service priority. Without being a member of CPS, your camera is in the same class as P&S repairs, advanced P&S repairs, digicams, film cameras, entry level dSLRs, etc. CPS is for working professionals who may benefit from expedited repairs, etc.

I'm not recommending CPS, but you may wish to look into the service to see if you meet the requirements:

http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/

Interesting. I didn't know about this. I thought they were worked on in the order they were received. Shows how naive I am.

I'll take a look at CPS, but I'm sure I won't qualify for it. I just have a stinking feeling my camera is gonna be sitting there for awhile. Not too happy with that either.

Thanks Ziggy ...
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2012
    My camera has finally returned to me :D:cry I'm happy and perplexed/kinda upset at the same time. I can't get the camera to focus. No auto focus, no beep and no red box lighting up for any focal point. Why would that be and how do I get it to focus again? I'm sure it's something simple that needs to be set.

This is what they said was wrong ... It was found that the imaging sensor assembly did not operate properly noise appeared in the image. The main pcb and imaging sensor assembly was replaced. What is the main pcb?

I'd really like to try out the camera to see how it's working ... even use it to shoot photos, but I do need to focus rolleyes1.gif

Hope someone can help me out. I don't want to call Canon.
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2012
    My camera has finally returned to me :D:cry I'm happy and perplexed/kinda upset at the same time. I can't get the camera to focus. No auto focus, no beep and no red box lighting up for any focal point. Why would that be and how do I get it to focus again? I'm sure it's something simple that needs to be set.

This is what they said was wrong ... It was found that the imaging sensor assembly did not operate properly noise appeared in the image. The main pcb and imaging sensor assembly was replaced. What is the main pcb?

I'd really like to try out the camera to see how it's working ... even use it to shoot photos, but I do need to focus rolleyes1.gif

Hope someone can help me out. I don't want to call Canon.
    Good Evening MK,
    When I got my 5D2, it had issues similar to yours. I think I reset the camera functions, and that solved the problem. I know it was something simple.
    The main pcb is the main Printed Circuit Board in your camera. It's where a bunch of electronic componets such as resistors, diodes, transistors, smd's, etc, get together to make your camera work rolleyes1.gifThe boards are so small now, it's easier just to replace them, rather then troubleshoot em.
    Talk to ya soon thumb.gif
    Have a good night :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Good Evening MK,
    When I got my 5D2, it had issues similar to yours. I think I reset the camera functions, and that solved the problem. I know it was something simple.
    The main pcb is the main Printed Circuit Board in your camera. It's where a bunch of electronic componets such as resistors, diodes, transistors, smd's, etc, get together to make your camera work rolleyes1.gifThe boards are so small now, it's easier just to replace them, rather then troubleshoot em.
    Talk to ya soon thumb.gif
    Have a good night :D
    Jim...

Howdy Jim :D

I read last night in the Magic Lantern book that I might need to reset the camera functions, but I just wasn't too sure. I'll give it a try today.

Thanks for letting me know what a 'pcb' is :D and for the help on the 'no focusing'.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    Howdy Jim :D

I read last night in the Magic Lantern book that I might need to reset the camera functions, but I just wasn't too sure. I'll give it a try today.

Thanks for letting me know what a 'pcb' is :D and for the help on the 'no focusing'.
    Good Afternoon MK,
    You're welcome. After looking at your pics, I know you're always 'focused' thumb.gif Talk to ya soon.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    Good Afternoon MK,
    You're welcome. After looking at your pics, I know you're always 'focused' thumb.gif Talk to ya soon.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...

I reset it ... Wow .. I'm impressed, but I did have to look at the manual rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Jim thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    I reset it ... Wow .. I'm impressed, but I did have to look at the manual rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Jim thumb.gif
    You had to read the manual ??? Holy schnikes MK, it's gonna snow in ND this weekend rolleyes1.gif
    Enjoy your afternoon :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    You had to read the manual ??? Holy schnikes MK, it's gonna snow in ND this weekend rolleyes1.gif
    Enjoy your afternoon :D
    Jim...

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif