You Don't Have To Be Good...

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited July 12, 2012 in People

Comments

• dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2012
    Interesting. Thought maybe these were shots the photographer didn't intend on showing to anyone. But some of them are here as well.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2012
    One word....awful.....fauxtographer
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2012
    If you actually put in effort to create terrible portraits of a group of people, I think you'd be hard pressed to create imagery as offensive to the last 100 years of photography as this body of "work" is. I don't think this is a fauxtographer. I think this is someone purposefully sabotaging a shoot. Joe Klamar is a well recognized 'tog. He knows the business, and he knows what to do. If you look at his whole body of work, you'll see why. On this shoot, he either was out of his mind (drunk, drugs, etc) when he edited these, or he did this on purpose. To offend people. I am going to go with the latter.

Remember, Joe isn't some fly-by-night photographer. He is a well recognized AFP/Getty photographer with a long career behind him. He may also have just ended his career.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    If you actually put in effort to create terrible portraits of a group of people, I think you'd be hard pressed to create imagery as offensive to the last 100 years of photography as this body of "work" is. I don't think this is a fauxtographer. I think this is someone purposefully sabotaging a shoot. Joe Klamar is a well recognized 'tog. He knows the business, and he knows what to do. If you look at his whole body of work, you'll see why. On this shoot, he either was out of his mind (drunk, drugs, etc) when he edited these, or he did this on purpose. To offend people. I am going to go with the latter.

Remember, Joe isn't some fly-by-night photographer. He is a well recognized AFP/Getty photographer with a long career behind him. He may also have just ended his career.

I found myself wondering about that Ryan, and you make good points here. Definitely something that deserves a deeper look.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    perhaps age has impaired his judgement...
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    wow.. I would love to know what the true story is..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    Here's my take on this...

They sent a paparazzi in to do the job of a portrait photographer.

While it takes a certain skill set (and mind set) to capture the latest starlet getting out of a car sans her underwear or an aging rock star snorting coke in the backroom of a disco, a person skilled in this type of candid photojournalism type photography isn't used to lighting, attention to detail and posing that a portrait photographer is.

It's like they needed a doctor to do open heart surgery and they sent in a podiatrist. He is after all a doctor.
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    I am starting to see these images attributed to other photographers. Could it be that we've thrown Joe under the bus, and something much more hideous happened? Like some no-nothing at Olympic HQ set up the lights/camera and told the pros "press this button when I say so."

Other togs with equally - odd - images:
    Lucas Jackson/Reuters
    Victoria Will/AP

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/picturegalleries/9270482/London-2012-Olympics-portraits-of-Team-USA-athletes.html?frame=2221308

You'll notice some half-way decent images in there by Joe Klamar. I'm suspecting we've been duped by the blogosphere.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    There's lots of discussion about these photos all over the blogosphere. Some people think he's trying to make a statement about Olympians being regular people, not superheros. If so, I think he took it too far, but I'm certainly not offended by the editorial concept. As far as I know, Klamar isn't talking, so we'll have to wait and see if he eventually explains himself.
  • rexbobcatrexbobcat Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    One word....awful.....fauxtographer

The guy is actually pretty decent, but I think he's a sports photographer.

This was also a media event, so there were A LOT of photographers there. So you pretty much have to think on the fly and then get out of the way for the next person, which I assume is pretty hard to do for someone who doesn't normally shoot portraits.

These are Joe Klamar's shots for Getty Images. They've already been released, so any news source who pays can use them.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    There's lots of discussion about these photos all over the blogosphere. Some people think he's trying to make a statement about Olympians being regular people, not superheros. If so, I think he took it too far, but I'm certainly not offended by the editorial concept. As far as I know, Klamar isn't talking, so we'll have to wait and see if he eventually explains himself.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    These are not the official portraits of the Olympians, but shots made by media and wire services. The photographer is question shoots for a wire service. Wire services do not allow much editing with their photos and the images are basically put out there with not much editing.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/photography/2012/07/bad_olympic_photos_how_terrible_shots_of_olympians_went_viral_.html
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    Some people think he's trying to make a statement about Olympians being regular people, not superheros.

:bigbs
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012

I think the more plausible idea is he was given this assignment at the last minute and wasn't given time to prepare. Not to mention this probably wasn't his best genre to shoot.
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    The response of the photographer:
    http://www.petapixel.com/2012/07/06/photographer-joe-klamar-explains-his-controversial-olympic-portraits/

Maybe sometimes you just have to say 'no', because you're not able to deliver your normal quality of work?
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    Here's some additional info on the story as well
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    Very interesting. I am disappointed that there wasn't a "statement" being made - I didn't like the shots, but I could kinda understand doing the whole "real people" angle. But apparently not... Thanks for those links - super interesting to read!
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2012
    His is just a lame excuse, none of the reason he gave for the photos being bad explain the poor choices he made in the photos. It is just not professional quality work, a true professional can make lemonade from lemons, he was unable to do that. Agree with the other poster...he should have declined to put the work out if it did not meet his "standard" whatever that is.
    These shots are embarrassing.
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    Well here is someone else...perhaps there is a badphotographyvirus going on. This is horrible!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead