26777282-M.jpg

18217261-M.jpg

17667056-M.jpg

17667054-M.jpg

34448129-M.jpg

36851323-M.jpg

41925747-M.jpg

41925752-M.jpg

And of course I'd miss the roads........
18217304-M.jpg

18217279-M.jpg

38056633-M.jpg

So, what would you all miss about your places of residence, should you move? What pictures would you treasure all the more if you were to leave?

"There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg

Comments

• RazRaz Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    First of all, these are all lovely shots.

And as to your question, this is not a perfect shot, but it's the view from a bridge I cross on my way to a certain cinema theatre I like. Both really means Jerusalem for me.

49108240_c84285620a.jpg

I hope you don't really have to leave...

Raz
    "Each piece, or part, of the whole of nature is always merely an
    approximation to the complete truth..."

-- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

My Galleries
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    Raz wrote:
    I hope you don't really have to leave...

Raz
    I don't have to leave at all! Just got to thinking about being thankfull for where I am. thumb.gif

Sometimes we all need a reminder, something to keep our feeble minds in perspective.
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    Twisty rds, my grandson, who grew up in Charlotte along w everyone else younger than me and their father, he, grandson, Ryan, is in his first yr of college up there somewhere. Is it Western???

Beautiful area! Beautiful photos!

I would miss it all. here in Charleston, SC, except a very few places that left a scar 20 yrs ago. But 20 yr old scars, they don't hurt much.

That would be a good challenge theme.

It was the final project at a workshop I went to in the 70s.

We all did photos like yours, except we were in Wisconsin, but the same type things that you did. One woman went around with her wide angle lens and photographed people's faces, up close. Best damn project I have ever seen. I thought. She said something about missing the landscapes and things, but she said she would get awefully lonely in this space ship we were supposed to be on individually, so she wanted faces, people. As they were, too.

ginger

Our project was actually something like "if you were going to be in outer space for ever, take a photos now to take with you, photos you would want to look at when you were gone." We were staying in an old barn for a week, our families were not with us nor were they near, so the obvious was not an option. Also, this teacher only wanted full frame photos at any time.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Can I come visit you?
    Beautiful pictures Man, Can We come to visit? :D

Sadly, we do have to leave. We're not goint too far but we're gonna miss our river... "Canada's little Mississippi" ...

DSCF1423.JPG

DSCF1638b.jpg

Dscf0413a.jpg

Dscf0446a.jpg

Dscf0599a.jpg

This is our avatar ...
    Dscf1357a.jpg

Dscf1433a.jpg

Pg_12_10.jpg

Pg_12_8.jpg

Pg_14_1.jpg

Hope you enjoy our beautiful little river.

Bob and Glennie iloveyou.gif
    See with your Heart
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Ginger, sounds like an awesome project. Why was nothing like that at MY highschool? ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

Bob, Glennie, I love your river. I can see why you wouldn't want to leave!! There are places of beauty all around us, but it's hard once you've bonded to the ones in your area. :cry

In or around a year I may have to relocate temporarily for maybe as much as a year, and while I look forward to the reasons, I dread leaving my home, and the beauty this area holds.

So it got me to thinking, maybe I should start appreciating the beauty even more now, so it might be easier later.

Then I got to thinking, well, I suppose I'm probably not the only one in this boat.

SO, post 'em up! Even if you have no plans to leave ever, show us what you would miss, if you did leave.
    edited November 13, 2005
    I am in the opposite position, except for the obvious implications of the future of a senior citizen. I live where I do, have no money or means to leave except for brief visits a few hours away. No more trips to the mountains, etc. (I live in the Charleston area of south carolina)

So, I did no real photography for twenty depressing years, I did play some tennis. I really saw no beauty in my area. Flat, flat, soooooooo flat! I grew up in Michigan with vegetation, seasons, rolling hills, etc. I was used to some traveling. I had lived for years in Colorado near the mountains. Then because of circumstances I found myself in this flat country of no color, no interest.

I guess just to keep up with the people here in dGrin I had to photograph something for the challenges. So I did............ Now, I hope and pray I never have to leave here. It is truly the paradise that people pay much money to see. It is also my home. There is color, life, I love it more than words or pictures could say.

I will post some later, but there would be no way to actually portray the wonders, beauty, the things I would miss from where I live. (I just did a calendar of landscapes, it does not really show what I would miss. I did one of birds, it comes closer. Actually, I would probably miss being able to go to these places and attempt to portray some of their magic. I never really come close. It is like a disaster, you kind of have to be there: the smells, the sounds, the feel of the wind, you know.......)

ginger
    edited November 13, 2005
    More ...
    Ginger, sounds like an awesome project. Why was nothing like that at MY highschool? ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

Bob, Glennie, I love your river. I can see why you wouldn't want to leave!! There are places of beauty all around us, but it's hard once you've bonded to the ones in your area. :cry

In or around a year I may have to relocate temporarily for maybe as much as a year, and while I look forward to the reasons, I dread leaving my home, and the beauty this area holds.

So it got me to thinking, maybe I should start appreciating the beauty even more now, so it might be easier later.

Then I got to thinking, well, I suppose I'm probably not the only one in this boat.

SO, post 'em up! Even if you have no plans to leave ever, show us what you would miss, if you did leave.

Twisty, I especially love your image of the old mill. Is that a wooden dam? Also love the waterfall and the snow on the woodpile. The Beemer is soooo cool. Very excellent common sense bike.

Ginger has a point, it could be a good challenge theme. I've seen some of her images from around the Charleston area and they are good! thumb.gif I'm with you man, I'd like to see more from people. You kind of get a better understanding and connection with folks when you see what "rings their chimes" and favorite pictures can do that.

Glennie and I are just the two of us now. The kids a out on their own so we've bought a condo in our capitol, Ottawa. It's not too far from where we've been living on our beloved little Mississippi but you know, I'm actually looking forward to the challenge of making great images in a new area. Ottawa has a LOT of city owned undeveloped natural areas so it will be interesting. There's white tail dear living right in the city!

So if you have to move for a while, take up the challenge and continue to show us great pictures OK?

Here's a few more of what we're leaving behind ...

Angryriver1.jpg

Angryriver2.jpg
    These two above are rather poor scans off 35mm film

Pg_10_3.jpg

Pg_12_5.jpg

Pg_9_5.jpg

Pg_9_3.jpg

Let me agree with "Twisty" folks and urge you to show us your favs.

iloveyou.gif Loves yas
    Bob and Glennie
    See with your Heart
    edited November 13, 2005
    Bob and Glennie, beautiful photos from a beautiful area!

I have kind of discovered that all areas are beautiful, so I am sure you will enjoy the new things to photograph where you are moving.

I love all your photographs, but in particular I like seeing your avatar in a bigger format. It is nice as an avatar, but also beautiful in being able to see the details. Really a nice shot, as are they all!

ginger
    edited November 13, 2005
    Good for you!
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am in the opposite position, except for the obvious implications of the future of a senior citizen. I live where I do, have no money or means to leave except for brief visits a few hours away. No more trips to the mountains, etc. (I live in the Charleston area of south carolina)

So, I did no real photography for twenty depressing years, I did play some tennis. I really saw no beauty in my area. Flat, flat, soooooooo flat! I grew up in Michigan with vegetation, seasons, rolling hills, etc. I was used to some traveling. I had lived for years in Colorado near the mountains. Then because of circumstances I found myself in this flat country of no color, no interest.

I guess just to keep up with the people here in dGrin I had to photograph something for the challenges. So I did............ Now, I hope and pray I never have to leave here. It is truly the paradise that people pay much money to see. It is also my home. There is color, life, I love it more than words or pictures could say.

I will post some later, but there would be no way to actually portray the wonders, beauty, the things I would miss from where I live. (I just did a calendar of landscapes, it does not really show what I would miss. I did one of birds, it comes closer. Actually, I would probably miss being able to go to these places and attempt to portray some of their magic. I never really come close. It is like a disaster, you kind of have to be there: the smells, the sounds, the feel of the wind, you know.......)

ginger

Oh Ginger, I am so glad to hear you say this. Do you remember I'm the one who encouraged you to "work the land"? I'm sooooo glad that you are finding beauty where you are planted. Please show us more. I have your harbour scene in my collection and I really do like it a lot

May I recommend that you look up some of the work of a photogragher named Freeman Paterson. He truly has a unique vision and studying him has litterally changed the way I see. (Glennie has always been blessed with a good eye but I had to be taught, at least in part) You'll love Mr. Paterson.

BTW, thanks for your kindness concerning our work.
    See with your Heart
  • polartownjunkiepolartownjunkie Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    yo yo twisty, im digging those logs
    makes me wanna chop some wood and
    prepare a picture for when the snow comes

im currently missing the place i use to live
    im actually still living here/there, but im getting taller and things are getting smaller

like my ole' babysitter's front lawn, all the football and fights and sand throwing that went on, in an infinitly big grassy nole,
    when i drive by now i just see a malnurished lawn in sorry state, and a rusty chain link fence caging some crazy kids, and once i turned 18 and began driving, the roads became less abstract and mystical, and now lead somewhere, pssh!

thats what i left and im missing
    since the origin of matter is matter
    shiny new thoughts are recycled clatter

down to my cell phone shooter,
    anyone have a decent early SD card digtal for grabs?

a doomed love