Options

Exuma Bahamas

divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
edited July 1, 2012 in Journeys
I just spent a week on Great Exuma in the Bahamas training 10 wonderful people to act as First Responders. There are no hospitals, fire department or EMS service (yet!) on Exuma and only a clinic that is open Monday - Friday 8-5. If someone is seriously ill or injured, they have to be evacuated to Nasau by air or boat. While there, the family and I spent time visiting the heritage sites and taking in a very different Bahamas than people normally think about. While there is a Sandals on the island, pretty much everything else is undeveloped Bahamas. There are no fast food restaurants, modern grocery stores, tourist traps, etc. Something they do have though is amazing people who seem like they never met a stranger. Anyway, here are some images I captured during the trip.

1. Straw market where you can buy hand woven straw baskets, hats, purses and decorated sea items.
i-mGZDk95-L.jpg

2. Fish Fry which is a collection of restaurants in shacks that is the hang-out spot.
i-ZFXPJnt-L.jpg

3. Conch is a specialty on Exuma. Very good raw mixed with citrus fruits, cilantro and lime juice. Also very good fried fritter style.
i-zTXBsTm-L.jpg

4. Discarded conch shells behind Fish Fry.
i-WmdR7ZD-L.jpg

5. Grounded freight ship.
i-grJCGxJ-L.jpg

6. Coconuts are also a big part of the diet, especially coconut water.
i-XZgS5mH-L.jpg

7. Also lots of varied sea life. This poor guy baked on the rocks too long.
i-WjJJqLQ-L.jpg

8. The reason for the trip. The first Ministry of Health sanctioned First Responder class. I can't wait to work with them again and train the next group.
i-rKZJpsf-L.jpg
Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom