My First Concert in a Year

NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
edited July 5, 2012 in People
Life's been crazy so its been way too long since my last show or even thread here on DGrin, but I'm pretty happy with the results especially considering the lighting situation. The little available light was red so most of the shots were at ISO 12,800-25,600 using a D700:

01) i-RXBb56b.jpg

02) i-LCmXV94.jpg

03) i-qK5BMk6.jpg

04) i-Gp8rFgQ.jpg

05) i-c9557C7.jpg

06) i-dsP2Kgc.jpg

07) i-vS2mVTw.jpg

08) i-NcDBtcV.jpg

09) i-MqhrQzL.jpg

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    Great stuff. I think the B&W really fits these images well. Love 1, 2 and 8.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    1, 7, 8, and 9 are my favorites. Really nice work.

ISO range higher than I thought a D700 could handle. May I ask what lens/lenses you used? Also, did you do much post processing to reduce noise and if so was it LR or something else?

Thanks, Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    1, 7, 8, and 9 are my favorites. Really nice work.

ISO range higher than I thought a D700 could handle. May I ask what lens/lenses you used? Also, did you do much post processing to reduce noise and if so was it LR or something else?

Thanks, Phil

Just a few minor tweaks on LR 4, I could work to get more noise out but for this type of show it kinda works since even the noise doesn't look so bad coming from the camera. I was shocked at the high ISO performance, here's an ISO 25,600 crop of #8 followed by an old scan of TMAX 3200 film I found (enlarged to 12MP and then cropped):

i-3ng5Kjg.jpg

i-5XDqWw8.jpg

2, 4, & 9 were taken with a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 and for the rest I used my old Nikkor 70-210 F4.
    edited July 3, 2012
    Just a few minor tweaks on LR 4, I could work to get more noise out but for this type of show it kinda works since even the noise doesn't look so bad coming from the camera. I was shocked at the high ISO performance, here's an ISO 25,600 crop of #8 followed by an old scan of TMAX 3200 film I found (enlarged to 12MP and then cropped):

2, 4, & 9 were taken with a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 and for the rest I used my old Nikkor 70-210 F4.

Thanks for the information. I am in the hunt for a better camera and lenses. Your information is a help. While reading about the Nikkor 70-210 F4, I found some info. on Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM which I may consider.

Phil
    Phil
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2012
    Thanks for the information. I am in the hunt for a better camera and lenses. Your information is a help. While reading about the Nikkor 70-210 F4, I found some info. on Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM which I may consider.

Phil

If you need something now and can find one just grab the 70-210, it should be under 150 bucks and you can sell it for about the same price you bought it in 6-12 months. It focuses like a snail compared to any of the new lenses but my main concern is weight/speed so it won out over all other F mount telephotos.

I don't know much about the new Sigma OS but from the older non OS 3rd party 70-200's the Sigma is the fastest focusing but the Tamron will give you a sharper image.
    edited July 4, 2012
    If you need something now and can find one just grab the 70-210, it should be under 150 bucks and you can sell it for about the same price you bought it in 6-12 months. It focuses like a snail compared to any of the new lenses but my main concern is weight/speed so it won out over all other F mount telephotos.

I don't know much about the new Sigma OS but from the older non OS 3rd party 70-200's the Sigma is the fastest focusing but the Tamron will give you a sharper image.

Thanks for the information.

Phil
    Phil
  • bigsnowdogbigsnowdog Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    Really wonderful work!