Options

Rock patterns and textures

GoldenOrbGoldenOrb Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited July 4, 2012 in Landscapes
Over the last 12 months Ive moved location, to my detriment there is limited things to photograph in this dust bowl.
Recently Ive been exploring the coastline and found some Ocean caverns and like looking at the patters and textures that years of water smashing against it has produced.

The below image was shot with a 35mm nikkor lens then stitched.

Shot right on sunset which had light bouncing all over the place.

Certainly not sure that its one of my finest shots but interesting anyway. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    GoldenOrb wrote: »
    Over the last 12 months Ive moved location, to my detriment there is limited things to photograph in this dust bowl.
    Recently Ive been exploring the coastline and found some Ocean caverns and like looking at the patters and textures that years of water smashing against it has produced.

The below image was shot with a 35mm nikkor lens then stitched.

Shot right on sunset which had light bouncing all over the place.

Certainly not sure that its one of my finest shots but interesting anyway. Thanks

There's got to be something to shoot!

Nice crossbeds. A panorama like this doesn't do well in reduced sizes. Could you host it and link a larger version instead of attaching it?
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 4, 2012
    kolibri wrote: »
    There's got to be something to shoot!

Nice crossbeds. A panorama like this doesn't do well in reduced sizes. Could you host it and link a larger version instead of attaching it?

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2012
    yeh thanks
    here is the link at 5000pxl.

Its in a major mining town, nothing pretty about this place lol :)
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2012
    GoldenOrb wrote: »
    yeh thanks
    here is the link at 5000pxl.

Its in a major mining town, nothing pretty about this place lol :)

It doesn't have to be pretty, but if you've got the ocean and coastline I'd think there was some potential there for classic landscapes.

Your rock detail shot is interesting, but the processing gives me a headache. I don't know if it's HDR, or a cartoon filter, or if your stitching program does some sort of indexed color. The concentration of dark splotches reminds me of some HDR artifacts. Either way, I know you didn't ask for C&C, but the lack of all but deepest shadow gives me no perspective and takes away almost all keys to depth perception for me.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2012
    I like it!
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2012
    Thanks and I appreciate the critique as I will always walk away with new knowledge or a different perspective, which is exactly what Im after.
    I agree its quite intense on the eyes, esp in the larger version and really just playing around with the image. The stitching isnt the problem and i feel some off the depth is lost when the image is converted from a sphere into a flat image. I do think that the effect is lessened the further you are away from it. Its not as though we view large prints from just over a foot away from our face like we do on a monitor. (playing devils advocate) or maybe I have crap eyesight lol ;)

The coast line is quite hardcore, that I can handle however a majority isnt accessible unless on quad bike and or with the right tide conditions. Even my Land-cruiser on the occasion struggles and been passenger in wayyyyyy to many 4WD's that have been bogged. Around town is extremely flat other then the mining equipment, road kill, cargo vessel, emu export (beer) cans that litter the town and trains :) There are beaches but in the wet season there can be crocs, the water also has Blue ring Occys, stone fish etc so cant swim or wouldnt swim there :) Oh there are a couple of trees but nothing alluring. We dont even have bees apparently so how they pollenate I have no idea, must be by the birds and bats. But... Im 6 hours away from the white beaches of Broome and 4 hours from Karijini which is pretty cool.