Options

Yellowstone's Canyon And Lower Falls

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited July 10, 2012 in Landscapes

Yellowstone-2-097-X2.jpg

Yellowstone-2-086-X2.jpg

Yellowstone-2-120-X2.jpg

4. The thundering force behind it all....

Yellowstone-2-091-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 4, 2012
    Really nice shots, Tom. I was there the same week. I left on the 20th, which is evidently when you shot these. I was mainly hunting wildlife to shoot, but now I think I missed some good landscape photo ops as well. Good work!

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2012
    nice series, though the first one seems a bit oversharpened. i quite like #3...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2012
    A beautiful place on this earth for sure. Hope you had a great time Tom!
    Randy
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Really nice shots, Tom. I was there the same week. I left on the 20th, which is evidently when you shot these. I was mainly hunting wildlife to shoot, but now I think I missed some good landscape photo ops as well. Good work!

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks for the kind words, Joel.

I saw all sorts of wildlife....had I been focused on capturing them I could have gotten some pretty good shots. I didn't see either a moose or a grizzly bear, but I did see black bears and just about every other kind of critter roaming those mountains. Probably the most exciting was the chance to observe a pair of wolves for quite a spell.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2012
    squirl033 wrote: »
    nice series, though the first one seems a bit oversharpened. i quite like #3...

Thanks for the visit, Rocky. You can't turn around out there without seeing another majestic scene to shoot.

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2012
    rwells wrote: »
    A beautiful place on this earth for sure. Hope you had a great time Tom!

The place exceeded my wildest expectations, Randy. If it wasn't so damn far from me, I'd be a regular visitor to the Park.

Take care, buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    I visited Yellowstone a few times when I lived in Idaho. It is an amazing place! I like #1 but the light seems a bit harsh so looks a bit flat to me. But when away from home you take the shots when the opportunities present themselves! It does reflect the essence of Yellowstone. :D I really like the composition and colors in #2--it is my favorite from a lovely set.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    Love em' all.
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    I visited Yellowstone a few times when I lived in Idaho. It is an amazing place! I like #1 but the light seems a bit harsh so looks a bit flat to me. But when away from home you take the shots when the opportunities present themselves! It does reflect the essence of Yellowstone. :D I really like the composition and colors in #2--it is my favorite from a lovely set.

Lauren

Hi Lady,

I was blessed to have stunning, bright clear days for the whole time I was there. There were times, though, when I would have given anything to have some overcast skies....avoiding the stark lighting that I had to deal with on many occasions. All in all, however, I wouldn't change a thing in that wonderful experience.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2012
    Love em' all.
    Phil

Thanks for looking in, Phil. I appreciate the nice comment.

Tom
  • Options
    MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    Very nice photos. Yellowstone is definitely on my list of places to see.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2012
    Milan wrote: »
    Very nice photos. Yellowstone is definitely on my list of places to see.

Thanks for the visit, Milan. I had high expectations but the experience of Yellowstone far exceeded them all.

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    You always know how to appreciate the places you go and the things you see, regardless of the photography aspects. I am glad you enjoyed Yellowstone so much! :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    You were in a wonderful spot to photograph these. The first one I feel like I could ride down the water :D

Someday John and I will get there. I've not been there since I was a youngin' rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    A power of water moving through with violent effect! Thanks Tom!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2012
    Nice series, looks like you did a lot of hiking to capture all of them. I really like the last image.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    You were in a wonderful spot to photograph these. The first one I feel like I could ride down the water :D

Someday John and I will get there. I've not been there since I was a youngin' rolleyes1.gif

Hi Mary,

Getting to the wonderful spots was sometimes a real chore....especially for this old Florida flatlander. It's a good thing that I spend so much time up in the Appalachians of NC and TN.....kind of kept me in shape so that I can survive the rigors of Yellowstone.:D

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    A power of water moving through with violent effect! Thanks Tom!

Neil

Hey guy,

There was such a sense of raw energy and power present as I watched these waters....made the hair on my neck stand up.

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2012
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Nice series, looks like you did a lot of hiking to capture all of them. I really like the last image.

I really appreciate the visit, Doug.

I have never hiked so much as I did during my two weeks in Yellowstone. Nine days later....back home in Florida....and I'm still trying to recover.:whew

The last shot of the falls is in my top ten out of the hundreds of images I recorded.

Tom