Just for a chuckle

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited July 6, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Another image that has had an oddly large number of hits on my smuggie page for no apparent reason.
DS24450-XL.jpg

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2012
    I like this, too. I can see some opposites that makes the shot work for me. One would be the playfulness of the lady at the middle compared to the seriousness of the 3 that surrounds her. Next would be their uniforms, again, some opposites. The other 3 wears the traditional Tai Chi uniforms while the woman on center is very casual (and look at the color combination, too. mwink.gif). If the focus was on the woman on center this would be perfect! But all in all it does work for me and it did give me a chuckle. Nice shot! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    excellent dof
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    interesting. I find it to be probably one of the more interesting shots posted in this forum in a while. I won't even try to explain why I like it because I probably can't. It just connects with me.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    The focus is on the wrong woman but the dof makes it very interesting. It's just fun to look at.
    Travis
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    Thanks guys. I know the focus point is odd and dof shallow. I was set up and in the process of getting this shot.
    DS24453-M.jpg

We'd taken a break and the Tai Chi group started their march toward us. Still, I'm happy with the way it turned out. I like the woman at the back and the shot still makes me smile, if only because I have all the memories to go along with it.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    Another image that has had an oddly large number of hits on my smuggie page for no apparent reason.

I really like the use of DOF in the portrait below, however, despite all the raves here, I don't think this image works. The problem is that we have a mass of out-of-fousedness in the foreground, and then a 'nothing' figure in focus. If there were something special about the in-focus figure, that would make it really stand out and emerge from the out-of-focus figures, this might work. But as it is, it's just blob, sharp, blob, blob with a red cap. Perhaps if the in-focus figure were wearing the red cap, it might work. But as it is, it's just hard on the eyes. Sorry.ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    I really like the use of DOF in the portrait below, however, despite all the raves here, I don't think this image works. The problem is that we have a mass of out-of-fousedness in the foreground, and then a 'nothing' figure in focus. If there were something special about the in-focus figure, that would make it really stand out and emerge from the out-of-focus figures, this might work. But as it is, it's just blob, sharp, blob, blob with a red cap. Perhaps if the in-focus figure were wearing the red cap, it might work. But as it is, it's just hard on the eyes. Sorry.ne_nau.gif

It's funny how "nothing works" in this image yet so many of us like it. headscratch.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    To each his or her own, right? Or, that's what makes for horse races. ;-) And, as I said I don't think it works - that doesn't mean that it doesn't work - it means it doesn't work for me. ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • minibitminibit Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2012
    I like the photo because it draws my eye to something I would have usually ignored. It is different, but sometimes I need to have my eyes forced to focus on something specific. The cute lady in pink is looking at the camera encouragingly.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited July 6, 2012
    The expression on the woman in the green pants is the strong point for me. The woman in focus doesn't matter. Had the focus been on the woman in green, it would have worked even better.