Options

5D Mark III Sensor Problem

CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
edited July 16, 2012 in Cameras
That is not a clothesline across the top of the photo. It started to appear in the same location on every photo after 10,640 clicks.:cry Luckily it didn't happen during an important shoot.

i-VFSgKF3-XL.jpg

Cuong
"She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,212 moderator
    edited July 4, 2012
    Both RAW and jpegs?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Both RAW and jpegs?
    Yes. I called Canon tech supt and he thought it was a shutter blade blocking the sensor, but I can verify that the shutter is fully open using Bulb mode. Even the overly overexposed images, with or without an attached lens, has the same black line.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2012
    Here's one taken without a lens. The line is darker on the right than left.
    i-BXFdfQf-XL.jpg

3200% view of the line in Photoshop:
    i-LZtZD3r-XL.jpg

Cuong
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2012
    Its possible that it is a memory card or card reader issue but more than likely a sensor issue. I've known people who had oddly performing cards that when transferred to the computer it added lines in the same place on each photo, even though in camera it was fine. Some type of transfer bug or error.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2012
    The line is there when viewed on camera's LCD screen. Same problem with different CF and SD cards.

Cuong
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,909 moderator
    edited July 5, 2012
    This does appear to be a single raster line of damaged pixels. Time for repairs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2012
    Camera's been delivered to Canon for repair. Let's see how fast it happens.

Cuong
  • Options
    RachAllenPhotoRachAllenPhoto Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    You haven't been shooting near lasers have you? I saw a video of a DSLR where the guy was shooting a concert and just as he shot, a laser ran right across the lens from the stage. Made a line just like yours on his sensor.
    Allen and Rachel
    http://www.rachelallenphotography.com
    Imagine...
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    You haven't been shooting near lasers have you? I saw a video of a DSLR where the guy was shooting a concert and just as he shot, a laser ran right across the lens from the stage. Made a line just like yours on his sensor.

I was thinking the same thing.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2012
    I haven't been around any laser light for sure. I shot a debut dance practice in the afternoon. The line started to show up about half way through the session.

Cuong
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2012
    Canon replaced the CMOS sensor assembly in 3 business days and camera is back in action again.

Cuong
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2012
    Cuong wrote: »
    Canon replaced the CMOS sensor assembly in 3 business days and camera is back in action again.

Cuong

clap.gif
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    davev wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing.

That is both weird, and good to know.