Boy with a yellow balloon.

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited July 9, 2012 in Street and Documentary
7506418100_ee70f75150_b.jpg

I was waiting for the local parade to arrive at the central area of the town. Everybody's busy finding a good spot to see the parade. On one side of the street, I saw this little boy trying to puff some air to his balloon while walking. I was attracted to the yellow balloon more so with his expression while blowing it. Thank you very much for viewing.

Nikon D70, Nikon 80-200mm f/4.5 - 5.6 kit lens, ISO 200, f/8 at 1/80 second.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    This is good. One suggestion. For this sort of stuff, save the narrative until after the shot. Let it speak first. Add your thoughts afterwards.

This is just my thinking. What you are doing is documenting. Context is important. Series or sets are important. Individual shots can be awesome, but it builds in a set.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    Excellent Jiro. Great subject... thumb.gif
    Rags
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    This is good. One suggestion. For this sort of stuff, save the narrative until after the shot. Let it speak first. Add your thoughts afterwards.

This is just my thinking. What you are doing is documenting. Context is important. Series or sets are important. Individual shots can be awesome, but it builds in a set.

Thanks for the information, michswiss. So, what you're saying is I put my personal comment "AFTER" or "BELOW" the shot, right?

Second: Is the Documentary section of DGRIN requires that you build a set of images? I thought that this was primarily a Street and PJ section so I tried to put my images here since I now enjoy doing street photography. I could build a set but previously, the reaction was that it was too hard to make comments because of too many images under one thread. Is 3 enough or depending on what would suffice to build the story? I would appreciate the clarification because I want to learn. I'm actually planning to work on a subject for a month and document my whole experience with my subject. Any future help would be greatly appreciated. thumb.gif:D

edited July 5, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    Excellent Jiro. Great subject... thumb.gif

Thank you very much, Rags. thumb.gif:D

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    jiro wrote: »
    Thanks for the information, michswiss. So, what you're saying is I put my personal comment "AFTER" or "BELOW" the shot, right?

Second: Is the Documentary section of DGRIN requires that you build a set of images? I thought that this was primarily a Street and PJ section so I tried to put my images here since I now enjoy doing street photography. I could build a set but previously, the reaction was that it was too hard to make comments because of too many images under one thread. Is 3 enough or depending on what would suffice to build the story? I would appreciate the clarification because I want to learn. I'm actually planning to work on a subject for a month and document my whole experience with my subject. Any future help would be greatly appreciated. thumb.gif:D

Absolutely not, Jiro. While I agree with what Jenn is saying about letting the image speak for itself - we really don't need the back story. On the other hand, I love Jenn dearly, and have great respect for her work, but I haven't the vaguest idea what her point is about building sets. rolleyes1.gif Some of the best street photography ever done, and best documentary work, was done as individual images. Just shoot what you see, when you see it, where you see it, unless and until you find a specific thing, place, or situation that you want to document in a more formalized way.

Do whatever you want to do.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    Great shot, Willie. I didn't know that the " pants falling off the body " style of dress had spread to other parts of the world. Too bad.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    When I saw the shot, I thought to myself, "Wow, nice." I didn't need to, and didn't, read the text that follows.
    edited July 5, 2012
    Great shot, Willie. I didn't know that the " pants falling off the body " style of dress had spread to other parts of the world. Too bad.

Take care my friend,

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I think his pants falling off was not intentional though it did look like it's the norm nowadays. My guess is that he's a street boy, maybe 5 - 6 years old, self-sustained. His little "belt" is actually made of softdrink straw and that is the only thing that literally holds his pants not to totally fall off. When I started working on the RAW conversion of this image it was only then I realized that his right hand is deformed causing him to have a hard time keeping his pants up while his left hand is holding the balloon. I know I should not explain the shot but for the sake of conversation, well, I just did.

Take care, too my friend,

Jiro

edited July 5, 2012
    damonff wrote: »
    When I saw the shot, I thought to myself, "Wow, nice." I didn't need to, and didn't, read the text that follows.

Thanks, Damon. thumb.gifD

edited July 5, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Absolutely not, Jiro. While I agree with what Jenn is saying about letting the image speak for itself - we really don't need the back story. On the other hand, I love Jenn dearly, and have great respect for her work, but I haven't the vaguest idea what her point is about building sets. rolleyes1.gif Some of the best street photography ever done, and best documentary work, was done as individual images. Just shoot what you see, when you see it, where you see it, unless and until you find a specific thing, place, or situation that you want to document in a more formalized way.

Thanks, bdcolen.
    bdcolen wrote: »

I think this is one of the best quote I have read so far these days. rolleyes1.gif I will keep in mind the idea that if I want to formally document an specific thing, place, or situation, then that's the time that I would build a set and include some context. Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    damonff wrote: »
    This.

I didn't read your words and still don't know what it says. This shot doesn't need them.
    Travis
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited July 6, 2012
    I always look at the images before reading the text, whether it comes first or last. So it doesn't much matter for me.

The image is splendid, especially the repetition of the yellows. clap.gif
    edited July 8, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    I always look at the images before reading the text, whether it comes first or last. So it doesn't much matter for me.

The image is splendid, especially the repetition of the yellows. clap.gif

Thanks a lot, Richard. thumb.gif:D

• PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    I love this capture. great moment
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
    edited July 9, 2012
    I love this capture. great moment

Thank you very much, David. thumb.gif:D