PS CS Workflow Question (EXIF related)

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited November 15, 2005 in Finishing School
A smugmugger, who uses a Canon 10D, and PS CS, is having difficulty getting the exif to go along with his photos. I have asked him to be sure not to use save for web, but to use SAVE AS - and he says he is.

But his photos show up without exif :dunno.

Canon 10D - RAW
Open in ACR
Process in PS CS
Save AS filename.jpg

Upload to smugmug.

I did it with a file that he sent me, and the exif is intact and available on smugmug. When he does it, no dice.

Help a guy out here, willya? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Andy,

When he has the file open in Photoshop can he view the camera/exif data by using the File > File Info... command?

Can you walk him through saving off a chunk of history log and sending it to you to make sure he's doing what he thinks he is?

Although I don't know of a preference setting that would cause this behavior, maybe have him kill the preferences file:
    Hold down Ctrl + Shift + Alt (on Windows) or Command + Option + Shift (on a Mac) immediately after launching PS. You'll get a dialog asking if you want to delete the preferences file.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    I can't find the specifics right now, (sorry), but there is a choice in CS2 that allows the user to designate how the file is handled / saved / ect. This I believe will determin how the thumbnail, and the EXIF data are attached / not attached to the image file.

I will keep looking, but I do remember reqding an artical about this and checking all my settings. Just can't remember how. :cry

Maybe the person with the problem could restore CS2 to the original settings and start over?

Sam
  • GordonGordon Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Struggling Smugmugger
    headscratch.gif I'm the struggling smugmugger who's lost his EXIF data.

I tried as suggested - deleted the CS preferences file and loaded two pictures taken this weekend into Photoshop - 1st taken in JPEG L Format, the 2nd in RAW format.

Both files were loaded, levels tweeked, USM applied and Saved As (not save for Web). In both cases, the File Info command displayed the EXIF data after using Save As command.

Then uploaded to Smugmug - same result - the Original JPEG file has the EXIF data available - the RAW File Saved as a JPEG doesn't ne_nau.gif

If anyone is interested here is the link http://gcrae.smugmug.com/gallery/959907/1/44577095

The RAW file Andy processed is also on this page with EXIF in tack - it pays to be clever. :bash
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Gordon wrote:
    The RAW file Andy processed is also on this page with EXIF in tack - it pays to be clever. :bash

wave.gif Hiya Gordon, welcome to dgrin!

So, I can do it but when you do it something breaks - I'm sure that one of the smart guys here can figure it out... Let's have your specific PS CS version - and you're on PC right?

Very strange, but I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it. BTW - Adobe help sources are very good for this sort of stuff, too.
    edited November 14, 2005
    Let's hope so.. I'm on Photoshop CS Verison 8.0 on a PC...
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    A question and one thought
    Gordon wrote:
    Let's hope so.. I'm on Photoshop CS Verison 8.0 on a PC...
    Can you outline the exact workflow for the RAW file. Was it like this?

1) Open in Adobe Camera RAW
    2) Tweak RAW file
    3) Load directly into CS
    4) Tweak in CS
    5) Save as JPEG
    6) Load JPEG you just saved into CS
    7) See EXIF info via File Info
    8) Upload to smugmug, don't see EXIF

Or did you do it differently than this?

What version of Camera RAW do you have?

One thing that could be involved here is that there are different ways to write out the EXIF. There are legacy ways and there are some newer standards.

For example, the latest Camera RAW 3.3beta (which I believe only works with CS2) has a release note about changing the way that it writes out legacy EXIF info. I wonder if that could have anything to do with this.

You may want to try posting in the Adobe Camera RAW forum which is here.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited November 15, 2005
    Exactly as you describe - I use Camera Raw 2.0

1) Open in Adobe Camera RAW
    2) Tweak RAW file
    3) Load directly into CS
    4) Tweak in CS
    5) Save as JPEG
    6) Load JPEG you just saved into CS
    7) See EXIF info via File Info
    8) Upload to smugmug, don't see EXIF

Last night I processed a RAW file in Canon FileViewerUtility - it converts RAW files to TIFFS and sends to CS - I followed the steps 3-8 above and in this case a EXIF was visible - albeit only some of the EXIF data transferred.

I'll try posting in Adobe forum as you suggest..
    edited November 15, 2005
    icon10.gif Problem solved - I downloaded and installed ACR 2.4. Using the same work flow as before the EXIF data now transfers to Smugmug.. clap.gif

There seems to be a problem with Adobe Camera Raw 2.0 which blows up the EXIF data..

Thanks Andy / smart guys for all the help - much appreciated.
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Gordon wrote:
    icon10.gif Problem solved - I downloaded and installed ACR 2.4. Using the same work flow as before the EXIF data now transfers to Smugmug.. clap.gif

There seems to be a problem with Adobe Camera Raw 2.0 which blows up the EXIF data..

Thanks Andy / smart guys for all the help - much appreciated.
    Glad you got it fixed!