Options

Ewe Turn Blocks Yellowstone Traffic

JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited July 9, 2012 in Wildlife
In response to the requests for photos of humans v. wildlife at Yellowstone, here's a minor example of bighorn ewes blocking traffic. The Park Rangers call these "jams," and there are bear jams, bison jams, ram jams, and so on. They can be a mile long, and don't require the animals to be in the road. A bear jam can be caused by a grizzly off in the distance, but instead of pulling off the road, drivers just stop where ever until the beleaguered Rangers and Park police arrive to get things moving.

The big horn ewes were in a flock separate from the males--the rams.
DSC8129-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    That's the least we can do: stopping and waiting patiently for animals to cross the road.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    That's the least we can do: stopping and waiting patiently for animals to cross the road.

Except when they are sloths and boa constrictors, which move at night and take forever to make the crossing. When I lived in the backwoods of Panama, I would carry them across before they could get hit by the next car....
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    I just got back from 2 weeks in Yellowstone. Unfortunately, I got caught in several of these " jams ".
    Stopping to let animals cross the road in front of you...happened to me with a herd of bison...is one thing, but these idiots that stop in the road to look at a deer 1/2 mile away should be more considerate of others. I saw one ranger telling an obstinate motorist to move on...in no uncertain terms. I rolled down my window and applauded his action. He just shook his head.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    One time in Yosemite at the end of a busy holiday weekend a bear was working over a overflowing trash can. When I saw all the cars I knew something was up I stopped across the road and was ready to catch the stupid human tricks. They were walkiing right up behind the bear to get there shots with the cellphones. I was glad I did not get any when animals attack shots only because it would have resulted in the destruction of the bear for teaching the humans a lesson. I must have deleted the shots because I cant find them. It was late in the day and the light was not ideal
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2012
    Good one John. It reminds me of here when the sandhills stop traffic to cross the road.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"