Options

Hummingbirds

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited July 9, 2012 in Wildlife
I spent over an hour stranding outside in the drizzling rain *under the porch at the in-laws* taking pictures of these birds, of course my two favorites were the last two :D

I was using various lenses, I believe these two were shot with my 75-300mm lens at around 200mm. Its not the best lens but it gave me better pictures than what I was getting with my 85mm F1.8 since I was able to get closer. :)

I was also using my vivitar flash, I am tempted to get my own hummingbird feeder so I can take my time, use my studio strobe and umbrella and let the birds get use to it all and me. :D

MG6109-web.jpg

MG6110-web.jpg

This one was taken earlier before I got the flash out, I think I was using the 85mm lens with this one or possibly my 24-70. Im surprised how much more color shows up when you get the flash out. :D

The first two were not cropped that much, this next one was cropped a fair bit.

MG6047-web.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    It's not easy to capture those fast and tiny birds Gerald. I like the last the most.

Did you consider to give them a sparkle of light in their eye with PS or such?
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2012
    Good setand Dick has a good point about the eyes.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"