Options

Need 7 LP-e6! Promaster?

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited July 7, 2012 in Accessories
I'm backpacking all next week, and want to do startrails. With the moon as it is, I can do a full night of trails, which is ~ 2 batteries worth of charge per night.

I need about 7 more canon lp-e6 or equivalent.

My local camera shop doesn't have 7 to rent (and they don't rent just the batteries). Local stores don't even have 7 canon brand in stock. All i can find local is Promaster.

Anyone have experience with Promaster brand? If they take a full charge initially, is that a sufficient test of their capability?

(I didn't exactly wait for the last minute, on Monday I ordered 7 Flashpoint/Adorama brand batteries from Adorama, and called them Tuesday to confirm my order was ok. They CS guy assured me my order was fine, was being packed, and would ship on Tuesday to get to me on friday. Today I get it and the invoice says the batteries are backordered. AARGH. Why couldn't the guy have informed me of that when he checked my order on Tuesday and assured me it was fine?)
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited July 6, 2012
    I believe that Promaster is the brand handled by Ritz and Wolfe camera stores. You could call them to see if they have a recommendation.

Otherwise, I don't see that you have much choice, unless you travel through someplace with other batteries in stock.

If you have to use the Promaster batteries, or any other third-party and brand new batteries, I would put them to use in the least critical role, saving your better tested batteries for the important stuff.

Whatever, don't let it spoil your trip. Have fun and let us know how it went.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    Can you borrow a few? Can you buy a small battery charging solar panel made for backpacking?

Sam
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Can you borrow a few? Can you buy a small battery charging solar panel made for backpacking?

Sam

Not really, the ones that generate enough power to charge a high capacity battery are much more expensive than a handful of batteries at the price I could have ordered them for online. And the weight is a draw. I'd only get one battery charged a day even if I could attach the power cell to my backpack and expose it to the sun all day.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. Locally, the batteries are twice as much as I could have ordered online, but now it's too late to order them online elsewhere. I'm kind of upset about that. Adorama should have informed me when I called to confirm my order on Tuesday that the batteries were backordered. This is the second time I've ordered something from them that was backordered but not indicated on the webpage, and no notice from them on the order confirmation email.

I have a ton of batteries for my xti, but that sensor has too much noise to do startrails like I like.

None of the local rentals will rent the batteries alone without a camera.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    I got a second Promaster battery when I bought my D80 over 5 years ago. It lives happily in my battery rotation with 3 other Nikon batteries. I can't tell the difference in terms of charge time and duration. They all work equally well. I would be a lot more confident in Promaster batteries than any of the generic brands on the internet. (And they are much cheaper than OEM!)
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR