Options

Video editing with Photoshop CS6 (finally did one! link inside)

mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
edited July 7, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I shot some videos last night for our grassroots drifting organization. Understand I usually just take pictures and its the first time I've really done any video work. So excuse my lack of editing skills! :lust

Video: "BNT Ride-Along with Danny George"
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFudSD7bG1E

First impression? PS CS6 is super simple to use. If you know how to work with layers, you can work with with video on it. Transitions between clips are very easy to add and modify. Add photos and clips to the timeline are also simple to do. My favorite part? The fact that you can edit the color effects and use certain filters you would normally use on your photos but apply them into videos. It makes it that much easier!

My gripes? It's not a total-video-editing tool, of course that's a given. Also when you're applying transitions, you have to take into account the delay between two clips. For example, once you've put a transition between two clips, or more, and think 'oh im done!' but wait, you forgot to add one clip, let's say you add that clip; now all your timing for the text and such are off after you drop the new clip in and put a transition for it as well (unless it will go to the end of the entire movie, then there's no problem). What I would do next time is not add transitions until all the clips are down then do the transitions then apply the text you wish to add.

A few suggestions I'd also like to add is to keep all your files in one folder when you start editing so when you save your PSD file, it will load it from the same folder. I can see problems where you load the PSD file for your project and you forgot that you deleted one of your sound/movie clips, I'd think that would pose a problem, but I haven't run into it yet, it would just be a precaution. I think a dual-core processor will work fine with this program (quad would probably be better especially during rendering) so long as you have enough RAM to play with all the layers you'll be building, perhaps 8gb would be a good amount to lessen the frustrating 'zomg y u so slow!?' routines :)

Overall I like it, Premier is complicated to me, PS CS6 makes things simple. Worth the upgrade? Yep. I think so. Is it fun to use? Most definitely. I'll just say that with this, you'll find that there's a new reason to use your video-mode on your DSLR.