Options

DSS 106 - Calling All Nitpickers :)

WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
edited July 9, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
I had a couple of ideas that were unrelated to July 4th and flags. Then I happened by this farm today.

What do you think? Preferences? Reshoots are possible.

Processing OK? I have been playing with tone mapping.

Still working on a title. Suggestions welcome.

P1550570ToneMapped-L.jpg

P1550573Layers-L.jpg

P1550580ToneMapped-L.jpg

P1550604ToneMappedBlend-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    Very Nice. I'm liking them. I think #1 and #3 are my favorites. #1 because the fullness of the flag, and #3 because it shows a little motion. Although I think if it were me, I probably would have cleaned up the tattered pieces of the flag in post.

The composition of the earlier ones is much better, in fact I think it shows how much good composition makes a difference, especially compared to #4 which shows the telephone poles. Great work.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    JasonMorrowPhotoJasonMorrowPhoto Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    Agreeing with Helvegr. I'm also drawn to #'s 1&3. Leaning a little more towards #3. I think if you tweaked the red and white in #3 the photo would really pop. Were you using a filter on the lens at the time of the shoot?
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    I like #3 the best. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    I'll vote #1. It seems that if you were to crop up a little from the bottom right corner you'd have the composition of #3 (though I don't know if you need to). On my monitor, the contrast seems a little hard on all of them beyond #1.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    #1 by far.

I noticed the strings from the end of the flag & I would probably clean those up if this were my shot (mainly because I know that is what is 'expected'). Those tatters don't bother me though. They add to the realism to me. Still, I like that the flag is more unfurled in this one than in #3.

Sherry
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    #3 is the most dynamic of the images, #4 is the most static. The nice thing about 3 is you can see more of the building in the bg; it isn't blocked by the flag.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    I like tatters too.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    ghinson wrote: »
    I like tatters too.

Yes, the tatters give it character. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    #1 w/ tatters IMO.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    Thanks for all of the great feedback. I am having a hard time choosing between 1 and 3.

What do you think of this edit of #3?

#3a
    P1550580CToneMapped-L.jpg

How about Don't Fence Me In for a title?
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited July 8, 2012
    What a great display! I really like #1 and #3. The tatters on the flag detract from #1 for me but I like the processing of the flag, ground and sky on this shot. I like #3 and #3a - preferring the processing of the flag in #3a over #3 - but the blue tone of the sky in #3a seems a bit off on my monitor. Good luck with this!
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2012
    I still like #1, but it is a matter of personal taste - the tatters convey a sense of motion and "realness" (if that makes any sense) to me. With the full flag, tatters and shadow in #1, I see a wind blowing a flag that looks "right" on a sun cracked pole fence. But I can absolutely see what others are talking about which is what makes these interesting.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.