Options

D90 Wide Angle Lens suggestions

bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 749 Major grins
edited July 12, 2012 in Accessories
Based on some input from a previous thread, I’m thinking of getting a better wide angle lens than the kit lens I got with my D90. I searched the archives for a discussion on this subject, and I didn’t find anything recent. One of my intended uses for this lens is for landscape photography taken while hiking, including elevation gains. So weight is a consideration, but mainly just to decide between two otherwise close performers. Actually, I think most of these are pretty similar in size and weight. I am considering the following:

• Nikon 12-24 f/4 (or 10-24 f/3.5-4.5)
• Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
• Sigma 10-20 (any benefit to f/3.5 vs. f/4-5.6?)
• Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

I would like to hear of anyone’s experience with these lenses. I did a side by side comparison on DPR, but that doesn’t tell me about image quality. Suggestions of other lenses to consider are also welcome, but my price range is pretty much the most expensive of the lenses above (without a compelling argument, that is).

These are all DX lenses. I am considering a future move to full frame (maybe in a year or two) but I want a lens I can use now. The D90 really won’t get the field of view I want with an affordable FX zoom lens. I thought maybe an FX 14 mm prime, but $OUCH$. I’ll save the FX lenses for when I get an FX body.

Thanks.
~~Barbara

Comments

• Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2012
    A lens to think about is the Nikon 20mm 2.8. It is relatively cheap, very small, pretty light and it is damn sharp. It does have slight distortion in the corners but not horribly. Most of my favorite landscapes I have shot with this lens on DX and FX. I bought it to travel with. And it is my first choice when I go backpacking no matter which camera I bring.

I do lust after the 14-24 and it is probably going to be my next lens purchase. But until then the 20 will have to do.

Lots of people love that Tokina. And all of those lenses listed are pretty small and light. The downside is they are all DX.
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2012
    I love my Tokina 11-16mm 2.8. I love wide angle, and this is my go to travel lens. (I bring my 18-200 also)
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2012
    the tokina is probably the best optically out of all of them.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 749 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions. The 14-24 looks awesome, but I don't know if I want to carry it around until I have a full frame camera that needs it. I'm thinking the Tokina will probably be my best bet for now. I may try the Nikkor 20 mm at some point, but I am really looking for something wider for my DX Nikon D90. It looks like a great lens and it is on my future consideration list. Thanks again.
    ~~Barbara
  • Options
    tebogantebogan Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    Photography is the art of making an image of what you see so others can see what you saw.