Options

what should I do?

Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited November 13, 2005 in Technique
I want to better my skills... There is a community college that uses 35mm... took the classes long time ago... But is there a way or how should I better my skills? Im in CA, the bay area... any help would be great.
www.dipphoto.com
All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Shoot, shoot, shoot, post, shoot more, post more, ask more questions! :D

Seriously, this is a great resource right here. nod.gif
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    yes true
    yes true... but was also looking fo a faster fix..lol
    DJ-S1 wrote:

www.dipphoto.com

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    The fast track to oblivion
    Expunge that thought from your mind right now. There is no slower way of gaining in skill than looking for a shortcut.

Concentrate on the work of gaining skill and experience. That means getting out there and doing. Study when you can't shoot. Look at photos, find out what other people have done and are doing. Try to figure out how they did it.

If you can't find out how they did it, then try doing it yourself. The experience will teach you more than any class could teach you*. Come up with things you would like to be able to do, then, go out and try to do them yourself.

If you work on finding shortcuts, you will stunt your growth, and quite possibly get "lost" along the way.

*Not saying that classes are bad in themselves, but they are paced to the slowest members in the group. I find classes unbearably boring and slow.
    yes true... but was also looking fo a faster fix..lol
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Great advice nod.gif practice practice practice

Fred
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    thank you
    true.. well i'll just keep doing what im doing..lol..
    www.dipphoto.com

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Aaron there is no answer here but what shay & DJ said.

Its no different to any trade or profession in that experience & time mean everything. I wouldnt go a week without shooting 100-300 shots & thats my lesson...i do my own thing & dont sell any but i know myself how much i have learnt from the sheer amount of time i have had a camera in my hand.

Good Luck & forget shortcuts.
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    I agree with everyone here. I've taken two photography classes at school, they did not teach me much, only the basics of a 35 mm. I learned way more from just shooting everyday, it really amazes me of how much I actually learned. Ive learned alot from only dgrin, it helped me alot, and i know i can just ask a question and somene more experienced will answers. Other then that, there are always books. Books, internet, magazines, self-experience, etc. Good luck !!!!
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    I agree with everyone's comments in one aspect: practice will make you better at taking pictures.

That said, I think there's some value to taking a class or reading a book or a set of magazine articles so you can learn some basics about equipment.

It's hard to learn about f-stops, f-numbers, lenses, filters, equipment maintance, and lighting equipment unless you do a bit of reading or take a class or two. The point is the class will give you some basics that you can use...like a vocabulary.

Putting the words together to make a great story only comes from practice.

Erich