Options

Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #107 Essence of Youth

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited July 16, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #107 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges.

This challenge is for all dgrin members that are not listed in the Mega Round 17 list.

It will run fromMonday, July9, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, July 23, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The theme this round for your interpretation will be: Essence of Youth (Black and white only)

Its any interpretation you would like to portrait what is young. Whether it be an actual child doing something silly or it be an older person playing a childish game. Whether it be a set up for the photo or a point and shoot at the moment of inspiration. The challenge is to capture the essence of youth in black and white image. Just so we understand: Toning is not considered black and white, its well...toning, it has other hues of color in it. Black and white has only black, white and various shades of grey.

There are no editing restrictions other than the black and white listed above listed above.

Also I would like to remind you all to please limit your titles to just a few words and not long run on descriptions or sentences. There is a limited amount of characters that the poll program will take per entry. Thank you! :)

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #107 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge RULES.

Comments

• Options
    colinpurringtoncolinpurrington Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

Should this sentence say, "Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web")--EXIF data must be embedded in image"? Alternatively: "Submitted image must contain EXIF data, so do not use a minimal save method such as "Save for web."
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    Just for fun
    not fresh, and not digital...

943902097_ozeB8-XL.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2012
    Should this sentence say, "Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web")--EXIF data must be embedded in image"? Alternatively: "Submitted image must contain EXIF data, so do not use a minimal save method such as "Save for web."

This basic write up has been used for years and I think the original poster (super mod Sherstone) put it correctly because it was added when there were people who didn't know much about exif, and were wondering why their exif would disappear when they would go into an editing program. So saying "Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!" is correct.

The rules state that the image must contain EXIF data already.
  • Options
    colinpurringtoncolinpurrington Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!
    I don't have an advanced degree in English...but I still find the original sentence (re-quoted above) a tad hard to read. I'm sure all the forum veterans know exactly what it means, but my reword suggestion was aimed at making it clearer to newcomers like myself, especially because text gets reused hundreds of times, and viewed by untold thousands.

No reply needed -- I know this thread is for the contest and the associated images, not for Type A digressions on syntax and sentence flow.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    Hi Jag! wave.gif

You might want to make it clearer in the title that this is a black and white only challenge-- I almost missed it myself. Maybe spell out black and white instead of b/w, and maybe bold. I know it's spelled out in the description, but, as I learn daily in my job, people don't read.

Also, toning?
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    not fresh, and not digital...

943902097_ozeB8-S.jpg

Gorgeous shot!
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    Hi Jag! wave.gif

You might want to make it clearer in the title that this is a black and white only challenge-- I almost missed it myself. Maybe spell out black and white instead of b/w, and maybe bold. I know it's spelled out in the description, but, as I learn daily in my job, people don't read.

Also, toning?

I have clarified the above post to include bold letters and better description of what is expected.deal.gif
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    I have clarified the above post to include bold letters and better description of what is expected.deal.gif

thumb.gif
  • Options
    arjunrcarjunrc Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    Not fit for the competition (date is older, in color) but to me captures the essence of youth in a different way.
    It's that moment which confirms the theory that kids are always just playing you with their cuteness and sizing you up....
    2012-06-14-18h42m54-L.jpg