Options

Westcott Apollo Orb

SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited March 15, 2014 in People
Just got my 43" Octogonal Apollo Orb.
What do you think of the test shot and the quality of light?
20120709PrincessSarahlol0065e-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2012
    I think I saw this somewhere else but don't remember where. I wanted to know what you thought of the build quality?
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    kevingeary wrote: »
    I think I saw this somewhere else but don't remember where. I wanted to know what you thought of the build quality?
    Just like any other camera gear, treat it as fragile and it'll be fine. I wouldn't leave it by it self outdoors without bags. It would be a sail.
  • Options
    gfritzeegfritzee Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2014
    Read my latest post please... I need some feedback on what to buy. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2014
    Where is your latest post?
  • Options
    gfritzeegfritzee Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    Hi folks, I am looking for feedback and opinions on some equipment...I've been looking into purchasing softboxes... Which would you prefer, Apollo or Rapid box? ... Any feedback would be useful. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    A box is something that light passes through. In my opinion they are the same in that area.

I would get the one that was constructed well and fit the light I was using. Some boxes are a tad heavy and have been know to fall off certain strobes as they don't grip the light enough. You will have to buy a mounting plate that mates the box to your strobe. How big is your shooting space as the larger the box the softer the light. If you have multiple subjects can you move the box far enough? Some boxes are a bear to put together and some work like an umbrella. How often do you intend to set it up?

Larson was the gold standard but I heard they might be going out of business If you can find some older ones around at the right price jump on those as they are light and very well constructed. Paul Buff makes some great boxes but they are heavier.

Some of the cheaper made ones have a front fabric that yellows quickly making it hard to balance the light with other brand boxes.

I have an Apollo and it is well made and I use it every day but I replaced the front fabric with Larson fabric.

As you can see it is not an easy, "hey, use this one".
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    I have two 2x3' umbrella softboxes - very similar to the Westcott series - which I bought on eBay (just search "speedlight softbox" on ebay - there are many). LOVE them. Are they built as well as the brands? Probably not, but they've lasted two years so far, and show no signs of imminent demise. For $30 each, I'm ok if they don't make it for ten years. It weren't such a HUGE price difference I'd buy the branded product so support innovative businesses, but when you're talking 5x the cost, I just can't do it.

Exception for me: the Photek Softlier. I've yet to use ANYTHING which produces similar light to that thing, so that's one I will pay to replace at full price if the one I have dies thumb.gif
  • Options
    VagebondVagebond Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    I know absolutely nothing about softboxes etc., but you asked a question and I think you should get an answer from someone.

The light looks okay to me, maybe a bit much light but not hard light. The edges of the shadows are pretty soft but the shadows are quite deep/dark; I'd like to see the camera right side of her nose/chin and shoulder/upper arm a bit lighter, but that could be placement of the box, I don't know.

Recap: I think the light quality looks pretty good, but the amount and/or placement might need some work. And perhaps the colour/white balance, though my monitor isn't calibrated.

I like the portrait, by the way. I hope someone who really knows something will chime in.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    (post is from 2012 - I haven't seen the OP around here for a long time...........................)
  • Options
    VagebondVagebond Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    Oops, there's probably a reason I should stay in hibernation :)
  • Options
    lightcatcher2014lightcatcher2014 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2014
    Quality of light is fine. You got what an octabox would give you: broad and diffused light. Hope you picked a model which comes with grid so you can further control the light. There are 47" octaboxes on eBay for $74 which come with grid.

If you need more localized light 2x3' or 3x4' softboxes with grid might be also a good choice. Octaboxes and softboxes produce different catchlight, so depending on ones choice (roundish or rectangular) is also worth considering.

Cheers,
    --
    Trifon Anguelov
    Portrait and Wedding Photographer, Mountain View, CA

http://www.weddingphotographyblogger.com