Quick question about lenses

StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
edited July 13, 2012 in People
Hi, folks! I need some wisdom from the collective.

I am going to be going to our family reunion next month and I've been asked to take some portraits of the group while I'm there. I'll be using my 5D and I have a 85 1.2L that will be going along. I also have a 24-105 L zoom.

My question is this: Do I want to rent another prime to take along? If so, what would you recommend? We'll be in a beautiful location near the North Cascades in Washington, so I will probably want some pull-backs which showcase both the group (about 20) and the setting.

I'll probably ask some posing questions later! (I used to taking shots of small families, not large groups. :D)

Thanks!

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2012
    I think those two lenses on a full frame camera would be great - you've got the fast prime to melt backgrounds as needed, and the wider angle of the 24mm end of the other lens to include the location. Sure, 2.8 might give you a little more bokeh on the wide end, but since you'll be shooting FF I'll be it will be great.

Just my 2c - others may feel differently (especially those with more experience on FF than I have!!)
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2012
    I agree with Diva. I think you're good with what you have.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2012
    Same here.

I'd take my 50mm f1.4 and my 24-105 and be happy. The 28-70 wouldn't add very much.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2012
    I agree completely with Diva. Not even sure what other prime you'd want for that unless you knew for sure that you won't be able to get enough distance between you and your group for the 85mm to work. The more difficult question might be how to get everyone evenly lit if you plan on using anything but natural light. You might want a few speedlights or a couple of monoblocs.
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2012
    Thank you, everyone! I pleased to have my instincts confirmed!

Brett, you are right, of course. Right now we are thinking that we will have good natural light available (near water, so there should even be some good reflected light), but I'm going to have to think that through a bit...
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2012
    Have a great time.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    dont waste money i think you have it covered, dont for get a tripod as you need to be in the picture too. posing well that can be fun and really depends on the setting.