Awkward place to contemplate about life.

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited July 12, 2012 in Street and Documentary
7536929250_051755a641_b.jpg

Thank you very much for viewing.

Nikon D70, 80-200mm lens, ISO 800, f/8 at 1/320 second.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    Please, please, please lose the titles. :-) If I really wanted a title for this image, it would be something like "Huh?" Or "What's that?" Or, "You talkin' to me?" Because this is a photo of a guy sitting on the corner of a busy street, reacting to something behind him to his left; something that others in the photo also are reacting to - my suspicion is that it was you with your 80-200, but maybe not. :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Please, please, please lose the titles. :-) If I really wanted a title for this image, it would be something like "Huh?" Or "What's that?" Or, "You talkin' to me?" Because this is a photo of a guy sitting on the corner of a busy street, reacting to something behind him to his left; something that others in the photo also are reacting to - my suspicion is that it was you with your 80-200, but maybe not. :-)

Interesting comment coming from you, bdcolen. I could really make the title more intriguing, or perplexing perhaps that others would have a good time laughing or figuring out what the hell is he trying to say but I didn't. It is what it is for the reason that I was there when it happened and I happen to anticipate his reaction on this one. I think this is a good opportunity where an explanation from the photographer as to why he took the shot has some merit.

The parade was almost done and people are going home at that time. I noticed this man who seems to have an odd way of walking, agitated if I might describe him. Then, surrounded by the busy traffic and heavy influx of pedestrians, he decided to sit on this side of the sidewalk. I literally asked myself "What is this guy up to?" He sat there for about a minute with his hand on his chin as if he's trying so hard to think about something while oblivious to the danger of being hit by the vehicles moving close to him. I'm about 20 - 22 feet away from him so I'm pretty quite sure that he didn't notice me. That's the great advantage of a longer zoom range for street photography. I took some pictures of him in deep contemplation but there were so many pedestrians inside the frame of my shots. I wanted something better so I decided to wait. I inched myself closer but keeping the same POV so I can use the pedestrian lines as leading lines for him on my composition. Then, with luck, he did notice me and that's the moment that I've been waiting for and captured this. That eye contact with my camera lens is all that matters to me and I got what I want on this one. He did not get angry at me after he saw my camera. He simply kept his composure and sat there even as I left the place and went home. It must be pure luck on my part that no pedestrian blocked my shot and I got a clean composition on this one. Thanks for viewing my work, bdcolen. thumb.gif:D

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    jiro wrote: »
    That eye contact with my camera lens is all that matters to me and I got what I want on this one.

Interesting... I usually do not like eye contact of my subject with the camera -- certainly true in this case. With his eye contact, all mystery is taken out of what he is contemplating. He is seeing and thinking about his photo being taken. I would have liked to see one of your photos of his attention directed elsewhere -- then I might have wondered about him. As it is, you have influenced the scene by being notice.

And I agree with B. D. about the title. The photo should speak for itself and the title used as a thread identifier, not to perplex, intrigue, or lead on... In this case, there is nothing here to suggest that he is contemplating life.

All that being said, I like the composition and shot with the placement of the main subject and the busyness of the street -- especially the four cycles together and being crowded by the other vehicles.
  • konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    I'll admit that I don't see much contemplating in the shot, but if that's all I can complain about - it's not worth complaining. I like the shot. To me, it's obvious that the man on the corner is the main subject, but I also find my eye going back to the mini-bus behind the scooters. thumb.gif

As for titles - I just labeled a picture of an old Chevy 'F.o.r.d (Found on road dead)' rolleyes1.gif
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    I agree that titles are unnecessary and often annoying or misleading. This is probably one of those. A simple "Man on Corner" would have been better. Don't tell me what is going on, the picture should speak for itself and allow the viewer to understand (or totally miss the point) but in either case the viewer would enjoy it on their own terms.

As to the eye contact I think that is totally up to the photographer. Some lurk at great distance, some interact directly, make friends, and only then take the picture. Both are great depending on the subject and the capture, not the particular style. I personally like the interaction between photog and subject.

I really like the picture and enjoy making up my own thoughts on what is going on here. Excellent shot and well processed with great sharpness and detail. Love the crisp detail and correct amount of contrast. thumb.gif
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    I thought the title related to the thread, not specifically to the image. It's not possible to start a thread without a title, is it? ne_nau.gif

While I can agree that many images posted here have dumb titles, I don't consider this image to be titled.
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    Well, at least now I'm pretty sure that the problem is not the image itself but the title. rolleyes1.gif To satisfy some of you, here's the shot before my subject looked at the camera:

I will title this one "The Thinker." is that OK? mwink.gif

7554378904_7ef1b74f17_b.jpg

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    Or you can title this one "Awkward place to contemplate about life"... ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

I like this one much more with his contemplative pose vs his gazing at you. Now I wonder what he is pondering. And I like the parallel striding of the three pedestrians.

I also do like your processing minus the oversharpening...
  • coopcoop Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2012
    Right on
    Reminds me of 'The Thinker', in deep thought. Unaware of his surroundings only to be caught off guard by the photographer. I think the title speaks for itself. I like it.