Options

How to generate web traffic

pavektpavekt Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited July 12, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Photography is just a hobby for me and I recently decided to create a website to show my work and to start a photoblog. Now that the site is at least respectable I has started to shift my focus on generating traffic to the site. How do you guys go about doing this? I have already did what I can for SEO and started posting links of new blog posts to my Google+, Facebook and Twitter accounts. In addition to any advice please feel free to critique my site and photos.

http://pavekphoto.com

BTW: All my blog posts can be downloaded at high resolution for free under the Creative Commons Personal Use Clause.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    For me I do a lot of work at church and local grade school events for free or nominal amount. This generates a lot of traffic.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    pavekt wrote: »
    Photography is just a hobby for me and I recently decided to create a website to show my work and to start a photoblog. Now that the site is at least respectable I has started to shift my focus on generating traffic to the site. How do you guys go about doing this? I have already did what I can for SEO and started posting links of new blog posts to my Google+, Facebook and Twitter accounts. In addition to any advice please feel free to critique my site and photos.

http://pavekphoto.com

BTW: All my blog posts can be downloaded at high resolution for free under the Creative Commons Personal Use Clause.

Thanks!

I don't see anything on your <title> tag that says anything about what you do. I doubt anybody will search for your name....
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited July 12, 2012
    Clicking on photos in your blog takes the viewer to your smugmug site. That's good - but your smug site is a stock site with no customization and no link back to your main site. Clicking around on your smug site I find that you have only two galleries - one containing photos, and one that is empty. Why would you allow a site visitor to go to any empty gallery? And why wouldn't you add a title to your smug site so it shows something about you?

The photo galleries on your main site don't appear to have any words associated with them.

--- Denise
  • Options
    pavektpavekt Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Mike, I can't believe I never realized that! I will get on that and change all the title pages. Denise, I know the smugmug part needs work yet. I plan on getting that tweaked up this weekend. I figured it would be better to start the wheels rolling before everything was perfect.

Another question do you guys allow Google to index your SmugMug images when your site is hosted elsewhere? I am a little concerned that being the same image is shown on both sites that Google might end up directing someone to the SmugMug gallery when I actually want them to view it from my site.