edited July 11, 2012 in Street and Documentary
DSC0217NEF-XL.jpg
I was invited in to see this man's apartment. This is the stairway to his unit
DSC3231-XL.jpg
I took some shots on the way up
DSC3225-XL.jpg
DSC3230-XL.jpg
DSC3229-XL.jpg
This is the family that lives in the one room converted shed on the second floor with outside toilet facilities
DSC3232-XL.jpg
A proud family that you might see in a local mall. Notice the little girls uniform. All children have uniforms supplied by the government and required wear. Another resident told me the reason is so you can't see poverty between school children.

Eight families live in this building (I counted electric meters); I don't know how or where.

No political judgement by me, but a great deal of respect for how individuals cope with what they have.
Rags

Comments

• damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    Interesting. Is this Cuba?
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    Yup, old town Havana
    Rags
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    Eye opening how this is the "norm" for some people. Wish you had a couple of the guy who was showing you around in this setting and the inside living conditions.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    rainbow wrote: »
    Eye opening how this is the "norm" for some people. Wish you had a couple of the guy who was showing you around in this setting and the inside living conditions.

There's more to the story. The wife asked me for money (the husband didn't - too proud?). When I was in their room, I lifted my cam up to shot; the owner didn't mind - but I couldn't. I felt like I was intruding on someone being hospitable.

this flag was outside

DSC3223-XL.jpg

I wanted to give some money but I only had dollars ( a criminal offense to accept) and I was leaving mid day. I did more shooting went back to the hotel & got pesos from my wife for the family. I rushed back to their house figuring I could find it by the flag. Went down three or four streets to no avail; someone took the flag in.
    Rags