Options

Need Advice!

ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
edited November 13, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi All,

I recently had a bride contact and hire me for a wedding next month. When she called she said they were going to get married here instead of NH in June b/c her fiancé's mother was very sick with cancer. I have already received their deposit but it's not cashed. Well, I got email yesterday that his mother only has a few more days and they are going to cancel the wedding. This is sad and terrible news. I feel terrible for them. Dilemma: I have a clause in contract that due to any type of cancellation I keep the deposit only. I want to return it but, is this good business? I do need a new lens. And, I am losing $1500 next month for this wedding. But this is a moral issue for me. I want to do right by them. Please help me decide what to do.
P.S. they did not ask me to return the check.....

Comments

• Options
    ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Please help.....
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    You said you want to return the money, so do it. Your concern is that it's bad business. I really don't think they are going to go around saying "hey, there's this photographer, you can book weddings and cancel on them and get your deposit back."
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Here is how I see it
    In situations like this, I dump the contract. I would refund their deposit and wish them all the best and send my condolences.

Not in the same league, but I have two weddings I was going to shoot out in CA this winter. One of them had to cancel the wedding as the groom to be had to ship off to Iraq. I happily returned the retainer even though contractually I did not have too and they mostly expected me not too also. I sent my best wishes to them for the future and that was one less thing they now have to worry about.

If it is a situation where they just cancel the wedding because of cold feet, cheating, or wishywashiness fully within their control, then the contract is enforced.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie