Options

I shot myself in the foot. Large Format Scanner Anyone?

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited September 4, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I have a 13X19 print (actual size of the image is about 12X18) I need to have it scanned. I appear to have lost my original file :( and I need to make some prints of it. Does anyone know where I could get a print this size scanned and get a quality scan?
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    No scanner
    I have a 13X19 print (actual size of the image is about 12X18) I need to have it scanned. I appear to have lost my original file :( and I need to make some prints of it. Does anyone know where I could get a print this size scanned and get a quality scan?

Well, I'm not sure what kind of camera you have, but you could consider photographing it.

Lacking that the only thing I can think of is someplace like Kinkos.

Service Bureaus (for graphic designers) seemed to have vanished off the face of the earth since most printers have gone to direct to plate instead of using film.

You could try calling some local printers in the area -- they might have some leads for you.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    One possibility
    Scan it in sections and assemble pano style.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    Well, I'm not sure what kind of camera you have, but you could consider photographing it.

Lacking that the only thing I can think of is someplace like Kinkos.

Service Bureaus (for graphic designers) seemed to have vanished off the face of the earth since most printers have gone to direct to plate instead of using film.

You could try calling some local printers in the area -- they might have some leads for you.
    Hmmm Kinkos has a scanner capable of the size. Gonna go check out the quality.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Scan it in sections and assemble pano style.

I've done this in the past and it works great.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2005
    So I get into work this morning and check one last place before I have to do the scanning thing. I have the original raw files here. Talk about a stroke of luck. I was gonna format this computer in a week. Good thing I looked first.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 14, 2005
    So I get into work this morning and check one last place before I have to do the scanning thing. I have the original raw files here. Talk about a stroke of luck. I was gonna format this computer in a week. Good thing I looked first.

Doing work at work umph.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Lucky Find!
    We weren't so lucky a month or so ago and had use the Shay/DavidTO solution. There was no choice after about 30 phone calls following 'false leads' seeking a scanning service for a larger image. Non-such in Melbourne that we could find. The end result was acceptable but a better result was the honing of our backing-up system.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2005
    Well the most embarassing thing is I am always telling my clients and everyone were I work to back things up, always make sure you have two (but prefferably three) copies of all your files. But no I can't take my own advice.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    cadnewyorkcadnewyork Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2006