Options

Royal International Air Tatoo

MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
edited July 20, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Last Saturday I spend a wonderful day at the RIAT airshow at RAF Fairford (England). Please find below a selection of pictures from this day. The light (or quite often the lack of thereof) was very challenging to say the least. With only very short spell of sunshine. Any comments are appreciated. You can see the rest of the them at my website. Apologies for picture heavy post. :D

B-2A Spirit. This was a real treat for me, :wink was looking really forward to see the Spirit. Even though it was only a static display.
FLD2012MO44-1-XL.jpg

MV-22 Osprey, another first one for me. :thumb
FLD2012MO6-XL.jpg

Mig-29A
FLD2012MO57-XL.jpg

This Lancaster bomber is one of only two remaining airworthy in the world
20120707MO7DFLD18263-XL.jpg

Red Arrows are flying 7 ship formation only this year.
20120707MO7DFLD17170-XL.jpg

Vulcan Bomber
FLD2012MO65-XL.jpg

Black Eagles from Korea, their first display outside from Korea (AFIAK) was very impressive.
20120707MO7DFLD18499-1-XL.jpg

Airbus A400M "Atlas"
FLD2012MO87-XL.jpg

Chinook
FLD2012MO59-1-XL.jpg

Hope you enjoy them.

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    Great photos, Milan, good work! I heard how bad conditions were there, and you managed to get some very nice results. But tell me, how did you convince the B-2 guys to write your name and URL on the front of their airplane? :D
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    Wonderful shots clap.gif Love the prop blur on the Airbus A400M. As if I knew its number designation as to type headscratch.gif:D
    Michael
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2012
    moose135 wrote: »
    Great photos, Milan, good work! I heard how bad conditions were there, and you managed to get some very nice results. But tell me, how did you convince the B-2 guys to write your name and URL on the front of their airplane? :D

Thanks moose for looking and taking time to comment.
    Oh and that name thing was quite easy, I managed to sneak in while the crew were having a coffee break rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2012
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Wonderful shots clap.gif Love the prop blur on the Airbus A400M. As if I knew its number designation as to type headscratch.gif:D

Thanks Michael.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    Milan wrote: »
    Vulcan Bomber
    FLD2012MO65-S.jpg
    Nice shot! I remember this as being a very serious aircraft back in the 50s, and it must still be very impressive today! :D
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    Super shots! Great clarity. So many rare aircraft.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
    Nice shot! I remember this as being a very serious aircraft back in the 50s, and it must still be very impressive today! :D

My memory doesn't go as far back as fifties but it is definitely an impressive aircraft. Designed by the same guy who was behind the Lancaster bomber. This one returned to the sky in 2007, 14 years after the last flight and at the end of may it suffer 2 engine failures so it wasn't certain at all if the Vulcan would be able to perform at RIAT. Fortunately they managed to replace both engines at test the aircraft in time for the airshow.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
    Newsy wrote: »
    Super shots! Great clarity. So many rare aircraft.

Thanks for looking and taking time to comment.
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,761 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    Great pictures thumb.gif

The weather must have been challenging. Was there any rain on saturday?

I was in Fairford in 2007 and 2009. In 2009 it was raining early in the morning. It stopped as soon as the airshow started. And it started raining again as soon as the last aircraft had landed. During the day we could see the rain coming down around us, but not above the airfield. Kerosine must be good against rain :D
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2012
    GSPeP wrote: »
    Great pictures thumb.gif

The weather must have been challenging. Was there any rain on saturday?

I was in Fairford in 2007 and 2009. In 2009 it was raining early in the morning. It stopped as soon as the airshow started. And it started raining again as soon as the last aircraft had landed. During the day we could see the rain coming down around us, but not above the airfield. Kerosine must be good against rain :D

Thanks!
    Yep, there was one period of rain but fortunately most of the day was rain free, with a little bit of sunshine, but it was very gloomy most of the time. Few times it very dark almost like well after sunset. F/A-18 was displaying during one of these periods, which was a real shame because it was one of the best displays I have ever seen, and I don't have any really good pictures of it.
    BTW my experience last year was very similar to yours, with a one significant difference, I got completely soaked while walking (quite slowly because of the queue) through the entrance and shortly afterwards.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2012
    I was at this show in 1985 and saw the Vulcan fly--it was impressive indeed. You have lots of shots of aircraft I have never seen, so I enjoyed this a lot. I really like the Osprey shot--you can just see the swirl of air around the rotors. Thanks for sharing.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    I was at this show in 1985 and saw the Vulcan fly--it was impressive indeed. You have lots of shots of aircraft I have never seen, so I enjoyed this a lot. I really like the Osprey shot--you can just see the swirl of air around the rotors. Thanks for sharing.

You are very welcome.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited July 20, 2012
    Lots of history there. All nicely captured!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?