Options

Tough Modder

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited July 14, 2012 in People
OK... couldn't resist with the title. This past Saturday, I participated in the Tough Mudder adventure race that was held at the Snow Valley Ski Resort in San Bernardino, CA. I thought I'd share some of the photos. I wasn't sure where to post them so I decided to put them here since this is where I hang out the most and I consider you all my Smuggy friends.

Originally, I was going to do this on my own but a couple of my friends and my nephew wanted to join in on the fun so I started a team called the "Dirty Privates". The team consisted of 8, although one of guys dropped out in the first mile. One minute he was with us and the next, he was gone. It was a little sad because the race is all about team work, camaraderie and making sure everyone finishes the challenge.

The challenge is a 10 mile trail run with 22 obstacle worked in along the way. About 7 of those miles were running (or crawling) up the ski runs, 3 of which were black diamond runs. There were 12 foot walls climb, barbed wire to crawl under, holes to slither through, 20 foot high planks to jump off, hurdles to jump, floating barriers to swim under. You name it, they put it in front of us.

It was the absolute most fun I've had in a long time. I pushed my 41 year old body harder than I have in quite a while. I'm not an endurance athlete. In fact, I have never run more than 4 miles in my life. I detest running. I'm a strength and burst kind of guy. At mile 6, my legs became giant cramped muscles. I wasn't sure I was going to make it but my team stuck by me and inspired me to push through. Some how, I was able to work through the pain and complete the course. I must be a glutton for pain because I'm already signed up for the next one in Feb.

Here are a few photos that my niece managed to grab with my gear. She's not a photographer so she just spammed the shutter release and managed to get a few pretty good shots.

1 - Start of the race. We're taking some sort of oath but I was to busy making my nephew laugh
DSC9518-Edit-X2.jpg

2 - Race is just about to kick off so we try our best to get everyone pumped
DSC9512-Edit-X2.jpg

3 - And... we'e off! BTW, the pink shirts have no meaning, it was the only color shirt they had enough of when I went to the mall.
DSC9535-Edit-X2.jpg

4 - My nephew's girlfriend and part of cheering section
DSC9790-Edit-X2.jpg

5 - This is at mile 8 as we came down into the start/finish of the course and approach the last set of obstacles.
DSC9965-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

6 - I really didn't think I had enough gas in the tank to make it across the rings but some how, I powered through
DSC9720-Edit-X2.jpg

7 - Next up was "Everest", 12 foot quarter pipe
DSC9826-Edit-X2.jpg

8 - Team work!
DSC9851-Edit-X2.jpg

9 - The monkey bars just after mile 9. They really know how to push a person.
DSC0040-Edit-2-X2.jpg

10 & 11 - And the last obstacle right before the finish.... ELECTRICALLY CHARGED WIRES! Who thinks of this shit?
DSC0090-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC0092-Edit-X2.jpg

12 - FINISHED!
DSC0108-Edit-X2.jpg

13 - I enjoy the best banana of my life! Yeah... I know it looks like I'm enjoying it a little too much. :D
DSC0126-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    BTW, this is the trail map for the ski resort. We started lift 1 and the course took us all the way to the top at chair lift 10. We ran up The Ladder, Race Peak and Snake Run.

09-10-trailmap.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    what a great idea and congratulations for completiting the course.
  • Options
    JabfingerJabfinger Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    Wow! This is really cool(except for the electrically charged wires...ouch). Nice pictures and it looks like a great day!
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    OhmyGosh, really ? Electrically charged wires? Is that even legal? Awesome job, congratulations. Did you get any wounds or blisters from this effort? AMAZING accomplishment, glad we got to see it!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    I'm not sure what I love more "This was the only colour they had at the mall" or "who thinks of this shit?"

Alex, you rock. Pictures are great, the event looks amazing, and congrats on pushing yourself through a crazy gruelling course.

You have also become the prototype for World's Best "tough guy on the outside, smooshie adorable person on the inside". iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    Congratulations! Ditto to what Diva said. Also, you are just too adorable - a good match for your wife:)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    I'm exhausted just reading about it and viewing the photos!

A real sincere CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Sam
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    hahah..sounds like awesome fun. I was scrolling down this post with trepidation..but alas you mnaged to keep your shirt on the whole time!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    hahah..sounds like awesome fun. I was scrolling down this post with trepidation..but alas you mnaged to keep your shirt on the whole time!

Laughing.gif. My wife was also surprised I still had my shirt on when we came down the mountain.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    That was fun to look at...

Now, after seeing all that exercise...

I think I'll have a beer...:D
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2012
    How did the niece get all the pictures was she able to take the chair lifts to different parts of the course?
    Looks like you had a good time despite the hard masochistic course.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/