Options

Tamron Lenses - Quality?

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited July 15, 2012 in Cameras
I am considering ordering Tamron's SP 24-70MM F/2.8DI VC lens instead of Nikons 24-70mm. Thoughts on quality of Tamron lenses? Good or bad experiences overall?
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,909 moderator
    edited July 14, 2012
    The Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD is, I believe, only Tamron's second lens to have their version of an "ultrasonic" autofocus drive motor (following the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD). Large, 82mm, filter size may be an issue for some. It's also extremely new, with few reviews.

It's one of Tamron's most costly lenses, but still less than the Nikon equivalent, and it has the Tamron optical stabilization.

I do like the Tamron lens color rendition, with a little more warmth that seems suited for both people photography and for many landscape opportunities.

Tamron lens construction is somewhat less than Nikon/Nikkor "gold ring" lenses, but still quite good. Durability of this particular lens is a complete unknown, because of the new technologies.

Early reviews are mostly positive with regard to image quality and focus accuracy.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD is, I believe, only Tamron's second lens to have their version of an "ultrasonic" autofocus drive motor (following the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD). Large, 82mm, filter size may be an issue for some. It's also extremely new, with few reviews.

It's one of Tamron's most costly lenses, but still less than the Nikon equivalent, and it has the Tamron optical stabilization.

I do like the Tamron lens color rendition, with a little more warmth that seems suited for both people photography and for many landscape opportunities.

Tamron lens construction is somewhat less than Nikon/Nikkor "gold ring" lenses, but still quite good. Durability of this particular lens is a complete unknown, because of the new technologies.

Early reviews are mostly positive with regard to image quality and focus accuracy.

Thanks for a quick and complete response.

Regarding "I do like the Tamron lens color rendition". I didn't realize that a lens affected color.

Also, in general how are Tamron products regarded? Low, medium or high quality?

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2012
    The quality of lenses varies dramatically within each manufacturer. For that reason, I think it is safer to compare the quality of specific, competing lenses from each manufacturer. I think you will find a lot of folks who have had good experiences with some Tamron lenses.

I have one Tamron lens, the 28-75 f/2.8, which is in many ways the predecessor of the lens you are interested in. I bought the 28-75 as an alternative to the Canon 24-70. The optical quality is fairly similar, particularly if you ignore the corners, which don't show with my crop sensor camera. The cost was about 1/3 as much. The build quality of the Tamron is inferior to the Canon L, but it has been durable and has given me no trouble over the 3 or 4 years I have had it. It lacks ultrasonic focusing, as Ziggy pointed out, and as a consequence, it also lacks full-time manual focusing. Frankly, it's the FTM focusing that I miss the most. I don't find the lack of image stabilization to be all that big a problem in at that focal length.

So, the long and short is that it lacks some features that I want, but the lens has been very good for the price, and I have often thought about buying its shorter cousin, the 17-50 non-VC.

The lens you are interested in intrigues me also. I'll wait for more reviews, but it looks very promising to me. However, swapping it for my current Tamron lens would cost a fair amount and add a lot of weight to my kit, so I may never take the plunge.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2012
    paddler4 wrote: »
    The quality of lenses varies dramatically within each manufacturer. For that reason, I think it is safer to compare the quality of specific, competing lenses from each manufacturer. I think you will find a lot of folks who have had good experiences with some Tamron lenses.

I have one Tamron lens, the 28-75 f/2.8, which is in many ways the predecessor of the lens you are interested in. I bought the 28-75 as an alternative to the Canon 24-70. The optical quality is fairly similar, particularly if you ignore the corners, which don't show with my crop sensor camera. The cost was about 1/3 as much. The build quality of the Tamron is inferior to the Canon L, but it has been durable and has given me no trouble over the 3 or 4 years I have had it. It lacks ultrasonic focusing, as Ziggy pointed out, and as a consequence, it also lacks full-time manual focusing. Frankly, it's the FTM focusing that I miss the most. I don't find the lack of image stabilization to be all that big a problem in at that focal length.

So, the long and short is that it lacks some features that I want, but the lens has been very good for the price, and I have often thought about buying its shorter cousin, the 17-50 non-VC.

The lens you are interested in intrigues me also. I'll wait for more reviews, but it looks very promising to me. However, swapping it for my current Tamron lens would cost a fair amount and add a lot of weight to my kit, so I may never take the plunge.

Thank you much also. I am trying to put together a reasonably priced package of lenses and still have good enough quality.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2012
    I will cut and paste the same reply that I gave to a friend of mine recently:

...Here's the bottom line:

The Tamron is sharp, has stabilization, and they finally got rid of that clunky old autofocus system, however that's about where the story ends. The Nikon on the other hand is a flawless piece of engineering, a bread-winning rent-paying workhorse. A brick, too.

If you're looking for something light and compact that will simply get you to f/2.8 and be sharp, with stabilization and current-generation autofocus technology, then the Tamron is a the absolute hottest lens on the market today and I would highly recommend it. As a full-time professional workhorse however, it may let you down from time to time. The sharpness is not really my concern to be honest, but and the autofocus is one of the very first in their new generation, and not as precise / reliable as Nikon's SWM autofocus. According to a couple reviews, that is. It's probably only noticeable if you REALLY push the envelope, but that just so happens to be what I do for a living. The other thing is, the Tamron is a lightweight (but still strong) lens that does sacrifice a little bit of ruggedness, which is something I personally need to maximize as a full-time professional. (ruggedness, not lightweightness)

At the end of the day, if you're paying your bills with this lens zoom range, get the Nikon unless you TRULY know what you're doing and need the stabilization or lighter weight. If you're less worried about beefy heavy-duty reliability, and you just wanna get sharp f/2.8 in that range, then get the Tamron.

Sorry if this only makes the decision tougher! I have a tendency to do that...
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2012
    I used to own the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 non vc lens, I loaned it to the wife and haven't seen it since. :D
    That lens does everything that we want it to do at a reasonable price.
    Some will say that the corners aren't sharp.
    We use the lens as an indoor people shooter, so we're at f2.8, anything behind the person is going to be out of focus anyway.
    When I've used it as a landscape lens, I've been at f8 - f11, and it's fine there also.

Throw in the 6 year warranty, and think the Tamron's give you a pretty good value for the money.

(I don't know how good their warranty service is cause I've never had to use it)
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2012
    Thanks Dave and Matt for your comments. It is most helpful and appreciated.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2012
    No experience with the lens in question, but I've used / use 3 of their lenses.
    Old SP 90mm f2.5 macro MF lens with home made EOS converter - solid build and sharp.

Same 17 - 50 /2.8 as davev - similar comments as his - did all that was asked of it ... 'did' as it's had a similar fate ... on long term loan to daughter + bf ... so probably won't be seeing that again for a while.

!80mm / 3.5 macro ... still in use and does the job asked of it.

All still working fine.

pp
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2012
    Another vote for the Tamron 17-50 -excellent piece of gear at a very attractive price.
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Another vote for the Tamron 17-50 -excellent piece of gear at a very attractive price.

Yuuuup. The Tamron 17-50 is an incredible lens for crop cameras.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2012
    Demian wrote: »
    Yuuuup. The Tamron 17-50 is an incredible lens for crop cameras.

Yeah, the Tamron 17-50 is great, and the 24-70 VC is the 17-50's bigger, AWESOME brother. Anyone who finds the 17-50 to be adequate, or for that matter the Tamron 28-75 2.8, ...they will find the Tamron 24-70 VC to be absolutely incredible.

Like I said though, They're not the best option for heavy-duty professional use. There is a clear difference between the Tamrons and the Nikons, (mid-range 2.8 zooms) if you need that built-like-a-tank construction and reliability...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum