Options

What would work best for my photos? Metal Prints or Thinwraps?

rachelmedinarachelmedina Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited August 29, 2012 in The Big Picture
Hello! I am fairly new to the world of photography (I do not even have a DSLR yet :cry, but am hoping to sell at least a few prints to somewhat help contribute to my DSLR "fund" :D). Since I am quite new to all of this, I am not quite sure which type of print (Metal or ThinWrap) would best compliment the type (color type) of photos that I currently have. I know that I really should order sample prints of each type to be able to really compare the two with my very own eyes, however, as a way of trying to save myself the money of ordering sample prints, I thought I would try the experts first (you wonderful people :wave) to see if you all would have any advice for me on which type of print you think would work best for my photos? I am aware that it can vary from photo to photo on which type of print would work best for each one, however, I guess I am just trying to see which print type would work best for the majority of my photos.

Here is the link to my website.

http://www.rachelmedina.com

I appreciate any advice that you all can provide to a newbie like me! Thank you in advance! :D

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,249 moderator
    edited July 16, 2012
    I don't think there is a substitute for ordering both and comparing them. Choose a reasonable size and a couple of representative photos. Order each photo in both finishes.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    I agree there's no substitute for ordering both and seeing what you like.

I'm browsing on my phone so the detail I am seeing is minimal, so take this for what it is.

You have some beautiful shots and would certainly make some good wall decor. The shots with artificial lights reflecting in water, and colorful skies would look great on a metal print. The metal ones are very glossy and reflective, but sunsets, lights, and colors look amazing on them. I've got a couple metal prints at home.

For thin wraps, most of your architecture style ones I personally think would look better as this type of medium. The texture of a canvas really adds to the grunginess and texture of older buildings such as what I saw. So the ones with more of a flat sky and such would be a better fit for the thin wraps.

Just my personal thoughts! When you get some, let us know what you got printed and on what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
    Hi Denise! Yeah, I figured I'd probably have to order both just to see. Thank you for your input!

Hi ZBlack! Thank you so much for your insight! I will definitely keep your advice in mind when deciding which photos to print on what. And yes, I will post an update here once I am able to order them!
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2012
    reenilswin wrote: »
    Well, Rachelmedina, I have seen your photography shots, and that is really awesome, I can't tell you about your beauty of photography. Your home photo of the home page is amazing, and I hope you will keep to your passion.

Hi reenilswin! Thank you so much for the kind words! I clicked on the photography website link in your signature & you have gorgeous shots as well! Thank you for the encouragement! :D
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    You have some lovely shots in your portfolio! I have not printed anything on thinwraps but I have had several shots printed on metal and I absolutely love them. The colors really jump. I have a couple of abstracts that worked well on metal. I echo what ZBlack said about sunsets--they definitely work on metal.

Good luck!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com