Escaping reality...

rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
edited July 25, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have a couple of awful ideas floating around in my head that require some set up, but last night I played with this.... Know I have some reshoots in mind, but what are your thoughts?

12012-07July-13-M.jpg

22012-07July-12-M.jpg

Thanks
Here are my updated choices...(Still have a bunch of unexecuted thoughts but....) New photos added below...
untitled-24-of-2-M.jpg

untitled-24-of-1-M.jpg

untitled-24-of-1-copy-M.jpg

Love some feedback!

Comments

• WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2012
    Good idea. The photos are a bit too busy. Maybe move the rocking chair in the foreground and isolate to just the armchair and pile of books.

Maybe add a person reading. with a steaming cup of tea.

Also, these look a little green to me. It could be true to the real colors. Maybe warm it up a bit?
  • Chris02Chris02 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    Has a 50s feel to the shots, prefer the 1st one.
    LR 4.1 Nik Silver efex 2
    D90 + D50 Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
    Nikon 55-300 mm f4.5-5.6G ED DX AF-S VR
    Landscapes, Sport and Buildings are my bag.
    Chris White Cheltenham England
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    What She Saw, it's funny about your comments. I had already done one reshoot last night, after posting these and before reading your comments. I HAVE added tea, I have changed angles to get the rocker out of there, but my model was on a date!.....so possibly tonight I can plop her into this chair...The colors are real, the room is pretty green, but I can play with that...
    edited July 17, 2012
    I've added three images to the first post......any thoughts?
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    I like the treatment in #3. Maybe crop off the top of the lamp and lose the partial picture frames on top. And then crop on the left to lose the bookcase. Tighten it up to just the reader, the book and the comfy chair and the footstool.

Either that or pull out and have the kids, the dog, the cat and the husband surrounding an oblivious reader. :D

How about Oasis for a title?
    edited July 18, 2012
    ooh, all that would be funny wouldn't it?? Or transferring her to the middle of Grand Central Station? Laughing.gif! I'll play with the crop, but also have a few other ideas I want to see if I can execute as well....
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    Of what you have here I like #4 best. I like the tint... and that coloring looks better (to me) against the soft focus on your subject.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
    edited July 19, 2012
    Here are a few more ideas/crops....

If I go with Books, it will be this one I think....

The cat though.... thinking of escape, plotting escape etc....

1untitled-2-M.jpg
    2untitled-M.jpg Here, thinking about escape....
    3untitled-9-M.jpg
    I am really liking the reflection of the 'bars' in the door, and the brinks security, as well as the gritty BW treatment...
    edited July 19, 2012
    I quite like your kitty escape #3... conveys theme well and I like the processing. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    Kitty escape! I like the escape into a book idea, but that is a technically difficult shot. You have the color cast, but it's also tough to bring out sufficient detail in your model (face, for example) with the back and high lamp. Without a big softbox in front, I almost think you should take that photo up or down in exposure and try it in B&W. But the Brinks sticker makes the kitty shot.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2012
    I like how these are evolving. As I look at this comp I feel like a low key effect would add to the "escape" theme. If you cut the light and lit just the reader in the chair along with the stack of books and cup of tea... Just a thought, but I like what you got going here.
  • sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2012
    Of the last three, the cat escaping grabs me the most.....simple, humorous, and just plain fun. I like the book subject and think your final version is pretty darn good......my only hangup is the reflected glare from the lamp on the wall.....it distracts my eye.
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2012
    Out of everything in this thread the 3rd one of the cat to me is easily the best. The one eye peeking out and the brinks home security logo, great details. It's funny and works very strongly with the theme.
    edited July 21, 2012
    Thanks all...I posted The Coast Is Clear last night just before some crazy storms that I thought might leave us w/o internet again over the weekend. (thankfully not! yet, anyway)

After the deadline I may post a list of all the stupid ideas I had between these two!!
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited July 23, 2012
    I noticed the cat entry in the gallery and love the Brinks sticker! I also liked where you were going with the escape into a book.
    edited July 25, 2012
    rteest42 wrote: »
    Thanks all...I posted The Coast Is Clear last night just before some crazy storms that I thought might leave us w/o internet again over the weekend. (thankfully not! yet, anyway)

After the deadline I may post a list of all the stupid ideas I had between these two!!
    Here is the blog I posted.... Have been trying lately to keep my thoughts kind of organized, showing how I think through things....

http://rteest42.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/mega-challenge-escape/
    edited July 25, 2012
    rteest42 wrote: »
    Here is the blog I posted.... Have been trying lately to keep my thoughts kind of organized, showing how I think through things....

http://rteest42.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/mega-challenge-escape/

I love your blog post. I've been thinking of starting a blog but afraid I wouldn't have much to write about. I never thought that posting thoughts on entries from time to time would be interesting to some. Very cool. Love the cat photo... got one of my votes. I racked my brains for ideas and the first one I had just wouldn't work and went nowhere. Never thought of the cat angle.
    edited July 25, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I love your blog post. I've been thinking of starting a blog but afraid I wouldn't have much to write about. I never thought that posting thoughts on entries from time to time would be interesting to some. Very cool. Love the cat photo... got one of my votes. I racked my brains for ideas and the first one I had just wouldn't work and went nowhere. Never thought of the cat angle.

thanks. Can't say if it's interesting to anyone but me, but I generally look at my blog as a diary...sometimes not, but .... (plus, I have two...this one is all photography...the other, not so much. Laughing.gif)