Make sure your tray tables are in the upright postion ...

schmoeschmoe Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited November 15, 2005 in Holy Macro
... and prepare for take off. lol8.gif Now that's the airline I want to fly!

44320314-M.jpg
Taken with 20D and Bigma at the Las Vegas Air Show yesterday.
F15 E Eagle on an afterburner take off.
Youth is wasted on the young!

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Oh yeah! THat's great, you don't usually get good backgrounds at airshows, just clouds and sky. Got any more?
  • schmoeschmoe Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    More stuff.
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Oh yeah! THat's great, you don't usually get good backgrounds at airshows, just clouds and sky. Got any more?
    Here are a few more.

Harrier jet on vertical take off and hover.
    44320309-M.jpg

and a Huey comming in low with "Flight of the Valkeries" playing over the PA system, an allusion to "Apocolypse Now".

44295134-M.jpg

I putting more into my gallery as I finish culling the 1,100+ shots I took and do some more PP.

Thanks for the comment.

Joel
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Ohhhh Great Location Too
    schmoe wrote:
    ... and prepare for take off. lol8.gif Now that's the airline I want to fly!
    Taken with 20D and Bigma at the Las Vegas Air Show yesterday.
    F15 E Eagle on an afterburner take off.
    Hi there Schomoe, I went to my first Air Show this year, and I was stunned at the ability of these craft to be able to manuver they way they could.

Las Vegas would have been a wonderful place to hold it, lots of wide open spaces, and good backgrounds too.

Great Capture on your part, I am looking forward to the next Air Show Downunder in 2007 this time I have a much bigger lens :D

So what was you most impressed with at the Show ?
    I was impressed with the size of the American Planes, they were soooooooooo big, they made most of the other Aircraft there look like Tonka toys.

Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • schmoeschmoe Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Big Planes
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Schomoe, I went to my first Air Show this year, and I was stunned at the ability of these craft to be able to manuver they way they could.

Las Vegas would have been a wonderful place to hold it, lots of wide open spaces, and good backgrounds too.

Great Capture on your part, I am looking forward to the next Air Show Downunder in 2007 this time I have a much bigger lens :D

So what was you most impressed with at the Show ?
    I was impressed with the size of the American Planes, they were soooooooooo big, they made most of the other Aircraft there look like Tonka toys.

Skippy (Australia)
    Yeah there are some big ones out there. C5 Galaxy (A.K.A. The Aluminum Overcast)
    11390782-M.jpg

I saw one of these fly overhead once and it literally blocked the sun as it went over.

What was impressed me the most out of the show was the FA 22 Raptor. What that thing could do blew my mind. The physics of a plane that size to be that agile and fast was incredible.

They obviously got the technology from the captured alien spacecraft they had on display. ;-)
    44711886-M.jpg

I thought throw this one for the conspiracy wackos out there. There is a secret military air base in Nevada (Out on the far-remote area of Nellis AFB where this show is held) called "Area 51". One of the conspiracy theories is that they have captured UFO's out there that they are testing.

This is the first air show I shot with my 20D and the one piece of advice I can offer is to constantly watch your histogram. No one setting is going to be ideal for all shots and what works changes as the direction of the sun changes throughout the day. Let the histogram be your guide. When shooting up into the sky I found that you needed typically between +2/3 to +1 exposure compensation. But when shooting things closer to ground level with things other than sky for background that no EC was needed for the most part.

Also it is better to *slighty* underexpose the shots for a nice blue sky otherwise the sky gets washed out and grey looking which can be a real a pain to bring back in PP.

Be sure to eat your wheaties to hoist that long lens for an entire day!yelrotflmao.gif

Joel