Options

My Daughter Downtown

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited July 22, 2012 in People
Having seen several of you post portraiture taken in a bit of an urban environment, I got the urge to give it a go too. Talked my daughter into giving me an hour of her time. Unfortunately, just as we were both hitting our stride, we had to quit. I found a number of other places and poses to use with them next time.

It was harder for me shooting in this environment than in wooded/park areas for some reason. Here are a few...

Thanks for any comments/advice/critique...

webmeraya1-L.jpg

webmeraya4-L.jpg

webmeraya5-L.jpg

webmeraya102-L.jpg

webmeraya3-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2012
    I like #1 the best. She appears relaxed yet engaged. Nice color and processing. Doesn't seem like her mind is elsewhere but with dad.

Sam
  • Options
    digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    Beautiful model, nice series!
    I like 1 & 2
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    but so much fun shooting with your daughter.
    very pretty young lady.
    1 3 and the last one for me. They are all good.
    Love the fun and energy of the jump shot.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    wow, she's gorgeous. Great work1
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    Beautiful kid Bryce. Keep the shotgun handy. Laughing.gif

I love #s 1 & 3.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    Absolutely LOVE #3, although I'd probably play around with some more extreme processing. Really like the angle and geometrics.

You've got a gorgeous daughter!!! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like her mind is elsewhere but with dad.

Sam
    Which is more and more a challenge as she gets older. Thanks Sam.
    digidrone wrote: »
    Beautiful model, nice series!
    I like 1 & 2
    Thanks!
    zoomer wrote: »
    but so much fun shooting with your daughter.
    very pretty young lady.
    1 3 and the last one for me. They are all good.
    Love the fun and energy of the jump shot.
    Thanks Zoom, long time no see! Miss your posts! Wanted to try a few more Jump shots at that spot but traffic started to get too heavy.
    Foques wrote: »
    wow, she's gorgeous. Great work1
    Thanks Much!
    Beautiful kid Bryce. Keep the shotgun handy. Laughing.gif

I love #s 1 & 3.
    Thanks John. Yeah, she's 14 but thinks she's 20. Those challenges are starting already.
    divamum wrote: »
    Absolutely LOVE #3, although I'd probably play around with some more extreme processing. Really like the angle and geometrics.

You've got a gorgeous daughter!!! iloveyou.gif
    Thank you, if your bored and want to play with it, I'd love to see your processing interpretation.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
    She's only 14??!?! Um yeah. Since I have one of those at home, I know what you mean rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Will play around with some processing and post when I get a chance - thanks for letting me have a crack at it!

Btw, in #2 I'd crop the front greenery (too sharp and too ... green lol) and the black pillar looked like a trash can at first. I would really like that one without those foreground distractions thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
    This picture is so good it takes ALL kinds of processing. I just did these quickly - some in LR (I often start with a preset for convenience and then twiddle it to taste), some with Florabella Classic Workflow in PS (also highly twiddle-able). I make no claim for any of these being "the" version, but seems to me they could all be possibilities. I will say that I do like a vignette, no matter what processing - keeps the bg from overwhelming and puts all the emphasis on the lovely girl thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
    This picture is so good it takes ALL kinds of processing. I just did these quickly - some in LR (I often start with a preset for convenience and then twiddle it to taste), some with Florabella Classic Workflow in PS (also highly twiddle-able). I make no claim for any of these being "the" version, but seems to me they could all be possibilities. I will say that I do like a vignette, no matter what processing - keeps the bg from overwhelming and puts all the emphasis on the lovely girl thumb.gif

I like top left and bottom left a lot! Thanks... Now I'm gonna have to play with it too!

Good catch on image number two. Although I'm surprised that you know what a trash bin looks like. Don't think I saw one in a public place the entire three months I was in London. :D Which may have something to do with why folks just throw their waste on the ground.

I do indeed like this crop better. Thanks for the tip!

webBWB1427-Edit1-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
    Top left was tweaked Florabella "Clean Colour" action from the "retouch" set. Bottom left is a preset from sarahj called "newspaper". It's one of my favorite BW conversions for the right shot.

I often find a lot of inspiration using presets and (good) actions - I seldom use them as-is, but they can make an excellent and time saving starting point.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
    Top left was tweaked Florabella "Clean Colour" action from the "retouch" set. Bottom left is a preset from sarahj called "newspaper". It's one of my favorite BW conversions for the right shot.

I often find a lot of inspiration using presets and (good) actions - I seldom use them as-is, but they can make an excellent and time saving starting point.

Most excellent inspiration!

I used one of Sarah's presets at the link you posted for the foundation for this. Although it's completely outside the box for me, I really like it. Thanks.

webmerayaplumprocess-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    Great series, with a good model. I do like especially 3. Mainly because of the composition and expression
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    3smiles3smiles Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    I love one and three I really like the final edit on three!
    Liza
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    thumb.gifBeautiful model Bryce, she is not camera shy.!!!!
    I like the whole sequence, but prefer 1 and 5.
    Congrats.
    JMHO
    Carlos
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2012
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Great series, with a good model. I do like especially 3. Mainly because of the composition and expression

Thanks a bunch! The only thing I don't like about three is that she just looks too damn grown up in it. :D
    3smiles wrote: »
    I love one and three I really like the final edit on three!
    Thanks a lot. Actually, that final image is a bit different than number three but shot one or two frames after.
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    thumb.gifBeautiful model Bryce, she is not camera shy.!!!!
    I like the whole sequence, but prefer 1 and 5.
    Congrats.
    JMHO
    Carlos
    You're right Carlos, shy isn't a word in her vocabulary. She takes after daddy!mwink.gif
    Glad you like five. I'm not completely happy with it and wanted to do a couple more takes but traffic got too heavy to continue.
  • Options
    junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2012
    FWIW
    I like #1 and the croped #2. I do tend to like the less posed picts

jim
  • Options
    kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2012
    Are all these natural light with a silver reflector?
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2012
    kevingeary wrote: »
    Are all these natural light with a silver reflector?

Most included off camera flash along with a 72"x50" silver/white reflector. Sometimes to block the sun and sometimes for bounce and sometimes for both block and bounce.
  • Options
    kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2012
    Most included off camera flash along with a 72"x50" silver/white reflector. Sometimes to block the sun and sometimes for bounce and sometimes for both block and bounce.

Great job, what's your location lighting setup?