Options

Loxley colour referred me back to SmugMug for advice

HMBergerHMBerger Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited July 16, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I would appreciate some help about what size print fromat I should for 3 different photographs in www.africaraw.com. I wrote to Loxley to ask for advice but I was surprised today when theyemailed that I must request this printing size format advice from SmuMug!

Sorry about these naive questions but this is my first potential sale via Loxley Colour

The customer wants the paper prints around 12"x16" in size

The size of the photos are:-
1. 3504 X 2336 pixels and so this should be fine for the above size
print. Photo of running giraffe, photo 8 of 303 in the mammal gallery.

However the other two are really more square in format

2. 3503 X 3232 pixels. Photo of lion cub & mother, number 138 of 303
photos in the mammal gallery.

3. And the one in B&W is; 3316 X 2758 pixels photo of alarmed zebra,
number 6 of 27 in the B&W gallery.

Looking at the offered sizes on the Loxley site and these crops I thought I should advise
her to order the 16 x16" print size initially and then crop
as needed via their menus. But I might be very wrong in my very first
experience with preparing a commercial print at Loxley colour or any other printing firm. Up to now I have done my own on my old Epson 2100

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Howard

Comments

• Options
    edited July 16, 2012
    After posting the above question I noticed the reply by Delbean in Rednecks thread "restrict sale of cropped images". This I think has answered my question. I will try the suggestions out.

Of course any extra advice will always be welcome
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    Hi Howard,
    You can see the different print sizes available from Loxley via SmugMug in the catalog.

To determine what print size fits best, I suggest that you add the photo in question to your shopping cart and then take a look at what cropping may need to be applied. Just looking at the pixel dimensions, it's not possible to properly tell what size might work if the size doesn't completely fit the photo aspect ratio.

To learn more about cropping in the shopping cart, take a look at our cropping help article.

If you have further questions, I would recommend that you post the specific links to the photos in question and what print size you're looking at.

If you don't wish to post the links in a public forum, contact us at our HelpDesk.

Oh and make sure to enable the proof delay feature in your galleries so that you have a chance to review an order once it's placed before the order goes to the lab for processing.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2012
    Thanks for clear advicer
    Thanks Sebastian its all beginning to make sense!
    best wishes, & i hope its less wet in Leipzig

Sorry about spelling error in title which unlike the reply text i dont seem to be able to edit
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    You're welcome, Howard.
    If by less wet you mean it doesn't rain right now, then yes, it's less wet :D
    But no worries, I just came back from Utah and can deal with some rain after all the hotness.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero