Options

Wedding Reception Lighting Setup

ericanicoleericanicole Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited July 16, 2012 in Accessories
Hello, I'm new here :) A friend told me this is a great place to go for solid answers and a friendly community. SO, I'd like to pose my question.

I am really wanting to make my wedding reception photos better, and the use of a single speedlite isn't cutting it. I have 2 weddings next month, and I really want to step it up with lighting.

I am shooting with a Nikon d700, and my light is an SB900. I am wondering what my best setup would be. I think I am going to keep my 900 on camera, and put two other light sources in the hall, and trigger them wirelessly. I was thinking of getting 2 vivitar flashes since they're cheap and my heart won't be broken if something happens to one of them. I also wanted to be able to possibly use the setup for group formals, both inside the church and outside. I need suggestions for a wireless system, flashes, light stands, etc. It seems that the more research I do, the more overwhelmed I get! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited July 16, 2012
    Lighting really does make more of an impact to images than does either lens(es) or camera body.

My recommendation is to rent a pair of Nikon flashes, the SB-800 flashes are still great for wedding/event work, and to use some sort of radio/slave set. The reason to use radio triggers is because, at weddings and events, there may be other shooters with similar equipment. If you try to use an optical master/slaves setup there is a good chance for interference with your shooting. Radio sets largely reduce the problem.

You may want to rent some studio flashes for the formals. I greatly prefer having mains-powered units with fan cooling over portable flashes for the formals. I also try to use studio monolights for outdoor formals when possible. It's far easier to overpower the sun with a pair of 1800 effective watt-second units even using reflector umbrellas.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    Welcome, I agree with Ziggy, rent first till you find a system that works for you, and you will probable notice you will need different setups for different venues, and backups. Of course you don't want to use a wedding to practice a new setup. Ask in the wedding forum what others like to use.

Good Luck
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com