first post

zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited November 16, 2005 in Holy Macro
I saw this on another site and wanted to try to duplicate it. Feel free to commet.

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Welcome to DGrin!
    zed wrote:
    I saw this on another site and wanted to try to duplicate it. Feel free to commet.
    Nice shot:-)! Keep them comingthumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Welcome to the Forum Zed
    zed wrote:
    Ohhhhhhh nicely done..........care to share how you did this shot ??? :D
    We hope you enjoy Dgrin, and we look forward to seeing more of your work.

Is this smoke? or steam? or what ?? Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    I used some incense for the smoke. It works good because it smokes for a long time (just have to be able to handle the smell). I wanted to be able to use a flash extension cable but I did not have one so...I ended up with a sutter speed of about 2 seconds. The incense was on a bar stool, there was a black background and the ambient light in the room was on the dark side. I was in my dinning room which is on a dimmer, it was set really low. I clicked the shutter and then manually tripped the flash, which I was holding below and to the left of the smoke. The flash was pointed up towards the smoke which I think helped to light the front and the back. I think it would have been a lot easier if the flash were linked to the camera but this worked pretty good.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Lovely shot- your method worked extremely well.

Brian V.
    edited November 14, 2005
    Thanks for the comments everyone!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Good shot, and thanks for the explanation of how you did it.

Sam
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Thank You
    zed wrote:
    I used some incense for the smoke. It works good because it smokes for a long time (just have to be able to handle the smell). I wanted to be able to use a flash extension cable but I did not have one so...I ended up with a sutter speed of about 2 seconds. The incense was on a bar stool, there was a black background and the ambient light in the room was on the dark side. I was in my dinning room which is on a dimmer, it was set really low. I clicked the shutter and then manually tripped the flash, which I was holding below and to the left of the smoke. The flash was pointed up towards the smoke which I think helped to light the front and the back. I think it would have been a lot easier if the flash were linked to the camera but this worked pretty good.
    I was wondering how you got such a long trail, now I understand.
    Those Incense Sticks smoke for such a long time I didn't even think about those.......... your results were really good, I like how you did it.
    Thanks again for sharing how you did this shot........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • polartownjunkiepolartownjunkie Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    its like a noisy map of the turbulent room's air

a dream of mine is to catch a nice series of smoke ring, with a very simple background
    since the origin of matter is matter
    shiny new thoughts are recycled clatter

down to my cell phone shooter,
    anyone have a decent early SD card digtal for grabs?

a doomed love
    edited November 16, 2005
    One of the neat things about this and something I want to experiment with more...the room that I was in had pretty much no air movement at all. So, for the most part the smoke was just going straight up (not very interesting). The neat part was, depending on how I would blow or waive my hand in front of it, would change the loops and curls that you see, as it went up. Might be neat to try multiple sticks burning, or other methods of blowing the smoke.