Options

DNG Confusion

RoanMtnManRoanMtnMan Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited July 17, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Hey Folks,

I getting close to my whit's end today. A publication has requested me to submit some photos for the possibility of publishing in upcoming issues. They have asked that I submit two folders, one containing low-res edited JPGs (simple) and one folder containing the same files in DNG format. I have never worked with DNG before and am having trouble figuring out how to export an edit version in DNG format. I successfully converted all of my RAW files to DNG and then imported them to both CS4 and Aperture. However for the life of me I cannot get these exported in DNG format with edits. Am I just a novice, misunderstanding the request, incompetent. I am somewhat new to the print world. Any help would be very very much appreciated.

best to all,

Caleb

Comments

• Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    Well, one of the nice things about the DNG format is that all the data can be stored inside the DNG file, without needing an XMP sidecar if you were sticking with the original proprietary raw format like .NEF or .CR2. So I think that request at least makes sense in that they want the original RAW file, in a format where they only have to manage a single file.

Unfortunatley, I'm not familiar with Aperture. If you were using Lightroom and you had a DNG file that you made a bunch of changes to you could simply select the file(s) and go the the Metadata menu and select "Save metadata to file". This would take your modifications and RAW edits and push those changes into the DNG file itself.

I'm assuming when you talk about your edits you mean edits to the RAW file, and not like Photoshopping you had done to the converted RAW file. As for Aperture, I'd look for maybe a similar option, to save your meta data to the file?

Sorry, can't be of more help.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    Art MorganArt Morgan Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    Caleb, the DNG format is essentially a different flavor of RAW. You can't edit a RAW or DNG file and save it as such, so you wouldn't be exporting an edited version of a DNG. I didn't know about attaching the metadata as Helvegr says above...but I tried saving my edits to a DNG and I could not get it either like you (I'm using Lightroom). I believe they are asking to see the RAW file (but in the DNG format.) You would give them your edits in JPG or TIFF formats, for example.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    RoanMtnMan....Before you send off any raw format file to any one....make sure you have registered your copyright with the US Copyright office........I have sold to publishers and not one of them wanted my raw format files.....they all wanted finished JPGs. Unless you are selling your rights to the images...then I can see wanting the raw format files......

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    RoanMtnManRoanMtnMan Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 17, 2012
    Thanks for all of the responses. It cleared things up. I went back to the publisher with some of your thoughts and I think I was just confused on what the purpose of the DNG was (partly due to his lack of details up front). In fact, it is just a copy of the original RAW with full documentation of any and all changes that I made in my processing. The edited JPGs are what will be used and the DNG is simply an audit trail in the case that they need to back track to make a few tweaks of their own. I really appreciate all of the replies, it helped me to get my head pointed in the correct direction. As for the copyright, we have a written agreement in place. Thanks again.

Caleb