Who said girls don't play rough?

KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
edited November 17, 2005 in Sports
This afternoon, these young ladies were going at it like there was no tomorrow.

44338634-L.jpg

44338697-L.jpg

44338726-L.jpg

Kent
"Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
Web site

Comments

• T(h)orstenT(h)orsten Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    girl soccer
    #2 Like this one best. You could try to crop the 2 girls going for the ball only. Might improve the action/ intensity ofthe shot.

T.
  • zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Nice caches. Looks like a rough game there. thumb.gif
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Dang, those are some great shots, I know you had said you were gonna work on cropping.
    Once you do that, these will go from great images to "awesome" images for sure. You have an eye for the action. Keep shooting your making me jealous............... I gotta go work harder..............
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    JoeL wrote:
    Dang, those are some great shots, I know you had said you were gonna work on cropping.
    Once you do that, these will go from great images to "awesome" images for sure. You have an eye for the action. Keep shooting your making me jealous............... I gotta go work harder..............
    Thanks for the comments. They're appreciated.

I 've noticed that you frequently recommend cropping photographs as an improvement. I've taken a look at some of your galleries and can't help but notice that most of your sport shots are very tightly cropped on a single player.

While that's obviously one method for bringing attention to your subject, I find that it tends to remove the subject being photographed from the context of the game and the action going on around it.

Tight crop or a more open crop? I'm strictly a weekend amateur who occassionally sells a photograph or two, but I don't believe one style is better than the other. It just depends on what the photographer is trying to capture and convey.

Thanks again.

Kent
    Web site
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    KMCC wrote:
    Thanks for the comments. They're appreciated.

I 've noticed that you frequently recommend cropping photographs as an improvement. I've taken a look at some of your galleries and can't help but notice that most of your sport shots are very tightly cropped on a single player.

While that's obviously one method for bringing attention to your subject, I find that it tends to remove the subject being photographed from the context of the game and the action going on around it.

Tight crop or a more open crop? I'm strictly a weekend amateur who occassionally sells a photograph or two, but I don't believe one style is better than the other. It just depends on what the photographer is trying to capture and convey.

Thanks again.
    What you are saying certainly makes sense. But then, it would seem that at times a tight crop, open crop or golden mean would be best, depending on the situation/shot.

I think in three shots above, for example, a strong case could be made for losing the right 1/3 of the first shot. I don't see how it is a benefit to keep.

Sincerely,
    Rich
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
    edited November 16, 2005
    LeDude wrote:
    I think in three shots above, for example, a strong case could be made for losing the right 1/3 of the first shot. I don't see how it is a benefit to keep.

Sincerely,
    Rich
    I agree. Unfortunately, the ball and another player (both of whom were occupying the right 1/3 for a brief moment) refused to stay in position long enough for me to press the shutter! ne_nau.gif

Kent
    Web site
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    I have received several emails about my "Extreme Cropping"

In an effort to explain my Extreme Cropping on the Football and Volleyball images......
    I have to crop those shots tight because they will be used for Publications and Posters that require NO border, that is the Clients request.
    I had indicated that they were "Shot for a Commercial Sports Client" in my earlier post.

In my personal images like the Soccer games I try to crop with very little room to print a border just wide enough for framing, if someone wants an image that would require a larger/wider crop I will pull up the original and crop to specs. Thats just a personal choice.....

Cropping is as much a personal choice as capturing the image in the first place.
    Depending on what the image is to be used for will usally determine the specifics of the actual cropping needed.

*These are just my personal opinions,there are millions of workflow options and choices that seperate us all. Lets go make great images.....
  • BaumannBaumann Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2005
    My take on crops..
    It's related to shooting wide open to cut DOF to make the subject pop from the background. Of course I agree with you that it is still tempered by what your preference is.
    Were I to crop the shots you have there:
    #1: Relatively tight crop to portrait orientation. The stuff to the left and right are just 'fill space' - no action there.
    #2: Crop out the young lady on the right - the focus is on the two duking it out, correct? She's just 'in the frame'.
    #3: Personally I think that's just fine the way it is - there's no way to crop that without playing decapitation.

Side note: I sure hope the ref saw the 'play' in #2/#3, though it looks like a mutual foul so he may have just let them 'play-on'.
    edited November 17, 2005
    Baumann wrote:
    Side note: I sure hope the ref saw the 'play' in #2/#3, though it looks like a mutual foul so he may have just let them 'play-on'.
    Actually, the ref called a foul on the girl in red for using her hands. Go figure.

Kent
    Web site