3)
DSC01495-XL.jpg

Comments

• damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    I prefer #2. Great idea!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    I've got to go with #1. The more distant view gives a little more context to the shot. Additionally, not having any " under the umbrella " details ( as is evident in the other shots ) adds a little more intrigue to the image. I like the PP work as well.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    It could only be England!

It reminds me of why I'm now in Asia, although I could have done with one of those umbrellas in Singapore this afternoon!

My preference is for #1 as well. As well as the tighter composition, I like the way the subject is framed by the shop fronts. It reminds me of the umbrella sculpture outside the Channel 4 building in Horseferry Road in London.
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    I like #1, even without the feet, but I wish you wouldn't post multiple
    images. Your judgement's good. I don't like choosing a favorite
    because that implies that the others are ugly step-children.

Oh, yeah, #3's good too. I like the bracketing men to the sides.
    I could find something good to say about #2.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    I prefer the first as they are posted. However, #3 has possibilities. Strange with the top of the black umbrella washing out as a highlight while the faces are still lost in the shadows -- would not have guessed such a wide dynamic range. Like the other people in #3 adding to the main subject.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    It could only be England!

It reminds me of why I'm now in Asia, although I could have done with one of those umbrellas in Singapore this afternoon!

Lancaster. Big umbrellas are never a bad idea in SE Asia. Some of the best thunderstorms in the world there!
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I like #1, even without the feet, but I wish you wouldn't post multiple
    images. Your judgement's good. I don't like choosing a favorite
    because that implies that the others are ugly step-children.

Oh, yeah, #3's good too. I like the bracketing men to the sides.
    I could find something good to say about #2.

Thanks for your confidence in my judgement. mwink.gif I bounce between single and multiple image posts for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's as much to learn from how other's see various compositions. Sometimes because I want them as a set.

I've always found it slightly curious why people feel the need to specify a "favourite" from a set. For me, each of these shots has a strength alongside multiple weaknesses. I also thought long and hard whether this might have been some form of marketing stunt that I'd fallen for (note that the umbrellas are heavily branded). But the weather was truly horrid at the time and there weren't very many people around. So it was either very poor marketing or simply a serendipitous situation. :D