Air travel question

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited November 15, 2005 in The Big Picture
Hey all -

This is probably a silly question but...

I'm making a quick one-day trip up the coast on Tuesday for 2 site tours. Fortunately I'm traveling light; only planning on carrying my camera. This is the first time I'm taking the dSLR with me on a plane.

I've never given this a thought before with cheaper P&S models but I'm wondering if there are any concerns or experiences anyone has had with running the camera, lenses and memory cards through the x-ray machines at the airport?

Comments

• BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Hey all -

This is probably a silly question but...

I'm making a quick one-day trip up the coast on Tuesday for 2 site tours. Fortunately I'm traveling light; only planning on carrying my camera. This is the first time I'm taking the dSLR with me on a plane.

I've never given this a thought before with cheaper P&S models but I'm wondering if there are any concerns or experiences anyone has had with running the camera, lenses and memory cards through the x-ray machines at the airport?

I often get by with +8kg as hand luggage. Only once got pulled up in Egypt so I said I'd carry the camera over my shoulder to reduce the weight of my bag and that was fine.

x-ray's fine...
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    wondering if there are any concerns or experiences anyone has had with running the camera, lenses and memory cards through the x-ray machines at the airport?

The only possible threat is the magnetism from the motor running the conveyor belt, and I hear that's only a problem on some old machines in a few really out of the way countries. Going through security, you are much more likely to damage film photos.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    I fly countless hours, never a problem. Never.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    The only possible threat is the magnetism from the motor running the conveyor belt, and I hear that's only a problem on some old machines in a few really out of the way countries. Going through security, you are much more likely to damage film photos.
    And only higher ISO film to boot.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 13, 2005
    As long as we're on the subject of flying with photo gear...

If I have a 20d, 10-22, 28-75, 400/5.6, and an Addonics MFR DVD backup device, some cards and a few little odds and ends - could that grouping be considered as carry-on luggage if in one small backpack bag?

Tripod or monopod would be packed with regular luggage.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    As long as we're on the subject of flying with photo gear...

If I have a 20d, 10-22, 28-75, 400/5.6, and an Addonics MFR DVD backup device, some cards and a few little odds and ends - could that grouping be considered as carry-on luggage if in one small backpack bag?

nod.gif

You should see what I bring on the plane! 2 bodies, 200L, 135L, 24-105L, 85, 35L, tripod, Powerbook, Ipod, a few Sunday crosswords, a coupla novels, and my roller suitcase.

Everything fits in my Crumpler bag and Hartmann luggage. On the plane, in the cabin, no checked luggage.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nod.gif

You should see what I bring on the plane! 2 bodies, 200L, 135L, 24-105L, 85, 35L, tripod, Powerbook, Ipod, a few Sunday crosswords, a coupla novels, and my roller suitcase.

Everything fits in my Crumpler bag and Hartmann luggage. On the plane, in the cabin, no checked luggage.
    That's good to know. Thanks. Today's big discussion was "OK, so tell me again why you want to drive to Utah instead of fly?" ne_nau.gif Considering options.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 13, 2005
    Thanks guys...

I just wondered if I should insist on a hand inspection because of possible magnetism issues.

Thanks for the input, I feel fine about this now.
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    I did that once. NEVER AGAIN. nono.gif

I don't know what they did with my tripod, but it didn't survive.

One of the legs had it's upper buckle completely ripped off, the one next to it was so badly bent that you couldn't extend the leg. The head also appears to have been rotated forcibly even though it was securely locked.

After a LOT of back and forth with them pain10.gif, I finally managed to get them to partially re-emburse me for it, but I was still without a decent tripod for a week's trip.

Today, I carry my tripod when I take it (which isn't very often, as I don't fly much). It fits under the seat nice, or tucked in the back corner of the coat closet up front of the plane (just ask the flight attendants nicely when you come on board, I've put pool cues in there too. (pre 9/11)) I've also seen others put monopods in there.
    Angelo wrote:
    I just wondered if I should insist on a hand inspection because of possible magnetism issues.
    I fly with laptop computers and other bits of electronics far far more sensitive to magnetic fields than any camera, let alone CF card... as do many of my co-workers... even the really sensitive whacko experimental parts don't have any issues with going through a standard xray machine, truth be told, I'd rather carry them on and have it go through that machine then check it and have it go through some of the more powerfull machines.

The one thing you can do to save your self time is to pack the backpack carefully... secure everything in place, neatly bundled. If there is more than a small number of devices they will likely take a moment to run it through a second time, rotated 90 degrees. This gives them a second view of the inards of the bag, if things are neatly organized then it's much easier for them to see that various pieces are not inner connected. This will save you time and annoyance in line. And if they do decide to open and look in your bag (not even hand inspect) just look around, that will be all the better.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    My airport advice is to do what they want that way you get thru on the first time. Also if you have foil wrapped chewing gum in your pocket make sure you take it out before you go thru the metal detector, bad experience:whip in the airport.

Bob.
    Angelo wrote:
    Thanks guys...

Thanks for the input, I feel fine about this now.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    I hear that jokes about bombs are hilarious!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/