Options

Major TV studio using my photo - help!

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited July 18, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I was asked to take a portrait of a chef who will be starring in a new cooking TV show produced by a major studio. They selected one of my photos to use in promotional materials. I have seen it on the chef's facebook page, printed as a large banner, about 4 feet by 6 feet. In the facebook pic she is posing in front of the banner at a press conference. The studio wants me to bill them for the photo. I have no idea what something like this is worth.... anybody?? Thanks in advance!!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    I was asked to take a portrait of a chef who will be starring in a new cooking TV show produced by a major studio. They selected one of my photos to use in promotional materials. I have seen it on the chef's facebook page, printed as a large banner, about 4 feet by 6 feet. In the facebook pic she is posing in front of the banner at a press conference. The studio wants me to bill them for the photo. I have no idea what something like this is worth.... anybody?? Thanks in advance!!

You just went out and set up a shoot and took photos and gave them full size to them, without a contract, anything in writing, any fee discussed ahead of time?
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    orljustin wrote: »
    You just went out and set up a shoot and took photos and gave them full size to them, without a contract, anything in writing, any fee discussed ahead of time?

Thank you for your helpful post, orljustin. There is a good reason there was no contract which I will not detail in public. To summarize, this portrait was kind of sneaked into a session with a number of other less important portraits for a client with whom I have a good and well-paying relationship, but the person doing the sneaking did not realize they were doing anything wrong. I did not know the final destination for this photo until afterwards. But whatever, they want to pay me.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    $1000
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    Thank you for your helpful post, orljustin. There is a good reason there was no contract which I will not detail in public. To summarize, this portrait was kind of sneaked into a session with a number of other less important portraits for a client with whom I have a good and well-paying relationship, but the person doing the sneaking did not realize they were doing anything wrong. I did not know the final destination for this photo until afterwards. But whatever, they want to pay me.

Uh, whatever. One million dollars!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 18, 2012
    Jack

I can appreciate your discretion in this but there are many factors that would be considered in pricing.
    a) What is a "major studio"?
    b) Is the show to be broadcast or cable? National or regional?
    c) What is the intended use for your image? How many venues and how much collateral will be involved in its reproduction?

I have paid as little as 99 cents for an image on stock sites and as much as $30,000 for a proprietary image.

Absent more information I would side with MJRPHOTO at $1000 as a starting point. Negotiate up or down based on factors. thumb.gif

• Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    Thanks Angelo, pm sent.
    -Jack