Well Dressed Ladies in Shanghai...

rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
edited July 19, 2012 in Street and Documentary
The days of the dumpy Mao suits are over. Only the very poor or the very old wear them these days. As I was wandering the streets of Shanghai, I wondered how the old women, who never had a chance to wear pretty clothes when they were young, feel about the present generation of gals in sharp clothing?

848642011_S8q8x-L.jpg

880369247_LyQqN-L.jpg

849276794_JHH5x-L.jpg

880361446_7tSyL-L.jpg

848648474_Jja4Y-L.jpg

851117448_FQAj2-L.jpg

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    Commentary about your own images, especially leading before the images, is
    frowned on here by some. However, I feel they added understanding of what
    you were presenting. The comparison of how these women dress against what
    their mothers or grandmothers wore would not have occurred to me. Good job.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    Well, I can vouch that most of the older women were lookers and wore very flattering clothes back in their day. It's more the "Baby Boomers" that didn't get their chances. A lot of them are making up for it these days though!

Editing to add that there is a very nice sense of spontaneity to this series.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    Yeah, 1940s ladies in Shanghai were more fashionably dressed than their European contemporaries for sure!
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    There's something about the processing on your last one...very nice...sort of grabs your attention. Capture is also very nice.

Good work...and thanks for sharing. Mind sharing some of the post processing work.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed