Options

Questions on the PW Mini and Flex

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited July 20, 2012 in Accessories
So I'm trying to decide on some radio triggers, and and thought I was all decided on getting a couple of PW Plus III to use with a simple speedlight. However some additional thinking has me looking at the PW Mini and Flex system. A couple of questions for people that may use this system.

1. With a mini on my camera, and the flex attached to a single speedlight, I know I can do TTL, which is one of the benefits of the system. However is it possible to control the flash manually from the camera? I've never done this before. I really like the idea of using manual instead of TTL, but having the ability to control the power from the camera and not run back and forth to the speedlight.

2. If I were to introduce a 2nd speedlight, and add another Flex, would I then have to add the AC3 controller to my mini in order to control the power of the speedlight? Let me be more clear, I assume I need the AC3 to control the power to flashes in different groups, but if all the flashes were to fire at the same power, could I skip the AC3?

3. Just so I'm clear, the PW plus II/III can't do high speed sync right? So if I had any interest in using faster shutter speeds, I'd have to go to a TTL solution like the mini/flex?

I think those are the main questions. I was set on the simplicity of the PW Plus III, because I tend to use manual flash. However, then I starting thinking about how nice it would be to not have to keep running to the flashes to change the power.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• Options
    NagoC50NagoC50 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    A proviso -- I shoot Canon so there may be some differences but my guess is that they are similar. If you use a flash that has master capabilities on the camera (one of my 580II's -- mounted on the mini) you can control TTL and manual on the off camera (Flex mounted) flashes and control power from that master. But you need to tie up an (expensive) on-camera master. With the AC3, you can do this, IMO, much easier and it's cheaper than a flash. Just turn a dial for power and you can operate 3 groups independently -- you can turn a group off, switch from TTL to manual or even have mixed TTL and manual groups at the same time. If Nikon operates the same way, I couldn't imagine not having the AC3 if you're going the Mini/Flex route.

Plus II is not high speed sync capable. Never checked on the new Plus III, but I don't think it is either.

PW has some short videos on its site that should be able to help you out in your decision.
  • Options
    KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    Check this link, it should answer all of your questions.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/21614132
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    NagoC50 wrote: »
    A proviso -- I shoot Canon so there may be some differences but my guess is that they are similar. If you use a flash that has master capabilities on the camera (one of my 580II's -- mounted on the mini) you can control TTL and manual on the off camera (Flex mounted) flashes and control power from that master. But you need to tie up an (expensive) on-camera master. With the AC3, you can do this, IMO, much easier and it's cheaper than a flash. Just turn a dial for power and you can operate 3 groups independently -- you can turn a group off, switch from TTL to manual or even have mixed TTL and manual groups at the same time. If Nikon operates the same way, I couldn't imagine not having the AC3 if you're going the Mini/Flex route.

Plus II is not high speed sync capable. Never checked on the new Plus III, but I don't think it is either.

PW has some short videos on its site that should be able to help you out in your decision.

Its that master control on the camera that I'm not sure about. Unfortunately I'm not yet in possession of the flash. Like on Nikon, I'm wondering if I was connected to a speedlight via a TTL cable, would there be some type of control screen on the camera itself allowing me to adjust the power?
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    I use the mini/flex on Canon. With the addition of the AC3 controller you can shoot either TTL or manual and control it all from the camera. In fact you can shoot one flash in manual and another in TTL. I've had the mini/flex since before the AC3 was available and now that I have the AC3 I can't imagine getting a mini/flex without it.

The AC3 gives you three groups. Each group is controlled independently, off, TTL, or manual. You can set the flash compensation/level for each group independently.
    Helvegr wrote: »
    S However is it possible to control the flash manually from the camera? I've never done this before. I really like the idea of using manual instead of TTL, but having the ability to control the power from the camera and not run back and forth to the speedlight.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    I shoot Nikon with pw flex units. I skipped the mini as it requires button batteries and the flex units use AA's. These units are great. You can have a flex or mini on the camera and either a flash or the ac3 on top of that if you want to control up to three groups of off camera flashes ( you only need an ac3 or flash on top if you want to control power from camera position). You can select manual or TTL right from the ac3 or the flash mounted on the camera. You can switch back and forth at will. As was mentioned you can have the groups manual or TTL or a combination of both. The mini and flex have a switch that lets you select (program) two distinct setups. I use one for TTL/manual with power adjustments on camera with an ac3, and the other as a basic trigger for when I need high frames per second which the TTL/manual setting lags on. Given that the ac3 is only $79 it Is a must have.

Also Nikon flashes can be set to su4 slave mode, so you often only need one flash in a group to have a flex to trigger and the others in su4 mode will be triggered so long as they can see the flex unit. This is what David Hobby of strobist does. Saves you a bit of cash in some circumstances.

I know there is a lot of discussion about radio triggers, but IMHO you won't regret the pw's flex and mini units if you decide to go with them.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    Just to second something Dreadnote mentioned. The mini is JUST a transmitter, and the flex is a transceiver($20 more), so you can use the flex on your camera or with the flash. I have only flex's to act as backups to each other.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2012
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    Just to second something Dreadnote mentioned. The mini is JUST a transmitter, and the flex is a transceiver($20 more), so you can use the flex on your camera or with the flash. I have only flex's to act as backups to each other.

How does the flex feel on top of the camera. I can see its a fair amount larger, but is there any weight to it? Does it make the camera awkward at all?
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    The flex is heavier than the mini... the flex has two AA cells in it vs just little button cell. But the difference on camera is not all that noticeable.

Also if you put a flex on the camera you can radio remote trigger the camera with another flex or mini.

How does the flex feel on top of the camera. I can see its a fair amount larger, but is there any weight to it? Does it make the camera awkward at all?
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012

Just to give you a comparison - The flex with batteries weighs in at about 6.4 ounces. My SB 900 with batteries is about 20 ounces. Not sure about the mini as i have never used it.

The literature said the the button battery on the mini only lasted about 30 hours on the Nikon version and as I am always inadvertently leaving things on, I wanted to be able to use rechargeable batteries of the AA type which I always have a few spares of laying around. Also as has been mentioned, since I have three Flex units, if I were to break one on location, I can use either of the other two in its place and hopefully make my lighting setup work. If on the other hand I break my mini or run the battery down with or without realizing it, then I'm in a bit of a jam. Also the community that I live in is a bit rural and as such the Radio Trash errr Shack is the only close supplier of button type batteries and their prices are a rip off, but its either that or wait for amazon to ship them to you.

Hope that helps
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2012
    The more I consider it, the more I'm leaning towards two of the Flex. I'm not thrilled about the price compared to getting a couple of the plus iii, but it seems like it would solve everything in one shot.

I almost get the impression that the plus iii would be a better studio option, which I do not have. Doing more location based stuff, that high speed sync ability would really come in handy. I sure wish I had access to a better camera store that might carry such thing. Just being able to hold them and fire off a couple rounds would probably go a long way in helping. Oh well.